Topic: UFX+ thunderbolt drivers do not install

Hey everyone,

this is driving me nuts, i've tried everything and nothing works.

Im using a ufx+ via the startech adapter on a windows computer. My stationary setup is an i9-7940x on an asrock MOBO with their TB3 card. Works fine with old drivers. I have tb_win_116 installed on it, and madiface 9700 (that was needed for some reason) drivers.

Now I got a Lenovo X1 Gen4 and wanted to use the ufx+ with this computer as well. I have installed the new drivers - didn't work. I installed the old drivers - didn't work. I installed DIGIcheck in various versions and tried re-installing the tb drivers. Nothing. I reconnected the ufx+ with my "old" maschine - works instantaneously. I copied the old installation files for the drivers of my PC to my laptop and installed those. Nothing. I installed the USB drivers and connected the ufx+ to the laptop via usb - works fine. I updated the firmware on the ufx+ via usb. Fine. I removed the usb drivers and tried to install the TB drivers. Nothing.

The installation of the drivers seemlingly doesn't do anything. Neither TotalMix nor the Hammer-thingy get installed. The Lenovo doesn't "find" the RME as a thunderbolt device as in it is not displayed in the Thunderbolt software (I even reinstalled the same old thunderbolt drivers from the other computer).

I am totally done. I dont know what Im doing wrong and ive googled and youtubed everything there was to find.
Anyone here know anyting else I can try?

Thanks in advance!

Re: UFX+ thunderbolt drivers do not install

Is TB disabled in the BIOS of the Lenovo computer ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hey thanks for the reply,

yes other thunderbolt devices (WD50 Dock) work and show up in the "thunderbolt control" app.
The UFX+ shows a white "host" led when it is connected to the WD50 but doesnt show anything when connected to the TB4 port directly.
I am playing music through it right now through my older computer, no problems whatsoever even though it is connected to the WD50 with tons of USB devices and DP going through the same TB cable. So I know the Apple TB2 cable as well as the Startech work. The TB3 cable from the Dock to the laptop works as well, since the WD50 dock works fine. So the problem should be "in" the computer... I remember going through hell getting TB to work when I initially installed it on the old PC, there I needed the MADIface driver, that did the trick.

In the TB3 "readme" file it says you need DIGIcheck, which is listed NOWHERE in the manual.... but that also didn't do anything.... I went back and got the legacy DIGIcheck Version from their old website etc.... I don't know what the problem is.....

Is Digicheck running and showing a signal ?
May you also have to select an input channel for one of the Digicheck instruments...?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Unclear information. UFX+ connected to WD50: Does the UFX+ only show a white LED or is it completely working then?

UFX+ firmware and driver version?

Installing the USB driver additionally to the TB driver is not required. Using DIGICheck is neither required nor did we mention anywhere that it is required.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey,

When the UFX+ is connected to the WD50 the LED turns white but thats it. No conncetion thats the only thing that changes. It is not detected as a device at all neither in the Gerätemanager nor in the Thunderbolt Control App, Audio Devices etc...

Basically it always works with my desktop no matter how i connect it, plug and play. But it never is even found by the Lenovo laptop as in the laptop never conncects to it.

I tried it before the UFX+ firmware update with FW 42 (I think) and then I updated it to the most recent FW that is supplied on the new rme website via usb.

I tried TB drivers 1.1.7 and 1.1.6 both didnt work.

After the usb driver installation, the laptop asked to restart, that never happens after the tb driver installation. I ran the driver both normal and as an administrator. The driver shows up under "Apllications" but I dont have the TotalMix and the Hammer Symbol in the taskbar.
I even reinstalled the Intel Thunderbolt drivers after like 15 failed attempts just in case.... didnt help.
Btw i can also reply in german if that helps....

In the readme file of driver 1.1.7 it says:
"Notes on the driver: (2. point) The Fireface UFX+ requires the latest version of DIGICheck (5.81 Win, 0.70 Mac or higher)." In my desperation I read both the readme and the liesmich file top to bottom.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

> The Fireface UFX+ requires the latest version of DIGICheck (5.81 Win, 0.70 Mac or higher).

Translates to: older versions of DIGICheck will not see the UFX+.

I would go back to BIOS to check all Thunderbolt options. There are options to disable 'unsecure' devices which might prevent the laptop from using our TB device.

The white light means there is TB communication going on. In the Thunderbolt control center there are options to authorize devices, and manage allowed devices. Check all those entries while the UFX+ is connected with white LED on.

Finally you need to check with Lenovo that you have both the latest firmware (aka BIOS) and Thunderbolt driver installed for your laptop. These do not come with Windows.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hey
i have the exact issue. usb driver works fine. tb does not (in my old pc it works)
after i install the ufx+ thunderbolt driver, it won't be shown on "uninstall program" in the control panel of windows (11 pro)

i also use tb3 dell dock connected to 4tb port (dell xps 17 9720), which official intel thunderbolt said to me on reddit:
"Thunderbolt 4 is not backward compatible with Thunderbolt 2 devices. Therefore, it is not possible to connect Thunderbolt 2 devices to Thunderbolt 4 ports directly. However, Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with Thunderbolt 2, so it is possible to use a Thunderbolt 3 dock as an intermediary to connect the Thunderbolt 2 device to the Thunderbolt 4 laptop"

why cant i see it in "uninstall program" in windows?
also, windows keep saying after i install that the driver may be not completed propperly.

what should i do?

i feel exactly like "dragonfood"

please try to help.

thank you