1 (edited by mike G 2023-01-02 22:18:47)

Topic: Stereo input setting - Routing question

Hello

When I mic an acoustic, I use two mic mono channels that I pan. But when bringing in a vocal that I want to apply a stereo effects to, I'm not sure if I should set the input track in TotalMix of my interface to stereo or mono? To better clarify my question:
It seems like mono inputs in Logic Pro get sent to the outputs as stereo. But are they hitting the effects as mono inline of the channel? In other words, it doesn't seem like a great idea to send a mono signal to an effect - Unless the effect in the channel strip is summing the signal before processing.

2 (edited by ebmmbongo 2023-01-02 22:29:57)

Re: Stereo input setting - Routing question

mike G wrote:

Hello

It seems like mono inputs in Logic Pro get sent to the outputs as stereo.

I think it's more like your output is stereo, so therefore you are able to pan your mono source going into the output.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

3 (edited by mike G 2023-01-02 22:40:13)

Ya, but when I monitor though headphones, the sound comes out one side of the phones unless I set the top input in TotalMix to stereo.
So if I keep the pan center, then it should hit the effects L and R inputs?

mike G wrote:

Ya, but when I monitor though headphones, the sound comes out one side of the phones unless I set the top input in TotalMix to stereo.
So if I keep the pan center, then it should hit the effects L and R inputs?

Yes, mono can be panned if they are sent to a stereo out, so to get the signal i both channels just center the pan.

5 (edited by mike G 2023-01-02 23:03:54)

Ok, Thanks
I see what's happening now. If the set the input's to stereo in TotalMix, you get a true left right though the phones - no matter which way the left right pan in TotalMix is pointing. Or if you set an input in TotalMix to mono you can then use the pan at the top of the strip to control the signal's L/R. But I'm not sure what the stereo setting is for at this point. Like why would you want to make one channel stereo when you can just use two channels since you still have to bring in 2 input sources anyway.

6 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-03 10:55:21)

Hi

In Totalmix you can’t set one single input to 'stereo'. Using the 'stereo' button, it links two channels to a stereo pair of inputs. 1&2, 3&4 and so on (it’s not possible to pair 1&6 for example, always the two direct 'neighbours').
Can you clarify it for me: do you want to use (stereo) effect plugins in Logic or are you talking about the integrated DSP effects from the RME interface?
Anyway: the mono/stereo and pan settings in Totalmix input channels only affect the direct monitoring.
For sending to the computer / software, the signals stay untouched. For example when you set input channels 1 and 2 to linked stereo channels in Totalmix, they still can be recorded as independent mono tracks in Logic, selecting only 'input 1' for mono recording track x, and 'input 2' for track y.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

7 (edited by ramses 2023-01-03 11:17:36)

+1
we are missing a like button :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

+2
Yes we are:)