Topic: 4.4. mm. headphone connector in ADI-2DAC FS

Hello Klaus,
Is RME considering replacing the 3.5 mm IEM connector on the ADI-2DAC FS with a 4.4  Pentacon connector? In my experience, the 3.5 IEM is vulnerable and is no guarantee for a solid connection to any headphones with a balanced cable assembly.
Regards,
ATC(AudioTechnicsComponents)
Gert.R.J.Smit

Re: 4.4. mm. headphone connector in ADI-2DAC FS

ATP wrote:

In my experience, the 3.5 IEM is vulnerable and is no guarantee for a solid connection to any headphones with a balanced cable assembly...

No wonder, ADI-2 DAC’s 3.5 mm is TRS single ended, not TRRS balanced.

If you stick in a TRRS the TRRS-ring can’t make reliable contact.

Hello KaiS,
Thanks for responding to my question. I'm sticking in nothing, as IO do not owe a ADI-2DAC yet. As the updated ADI-pro has a Pentaconn 4.4. mm. connector, I wonder if the ADI-2DAC can be next. I'm looking forward to your answer.

ATP wrote:

... As the updated ADI-pro has a Pentaconn 4.4. mm. connector, I wonder if the ADI-2DAC can be next.

The ADI-2 DAC doesn’t have a balanced amplifier / output.
It’s IEM output even has an extra, specially adapted single ended amp for noise-free operation of sensitive IEMs.

Therefore 4.4 mm Pentaconn wouldn’t make too much sense, although it could of course be used single ended too.

ADI-2 2/4 Pro SE can intelligently combine it’s two amps into one balanced output, so this upper extension of the ADI-2 line does consequently offers the new standard connector.

BTW: 3.5 mm jack works well if quality connectors are used.

Hello Kai,
Thanks for your prompt reply.The ADI version I'm interested in feeds headphones, over-ear, and closed-back versions. IEM transducers are no option. RME installs two amps in a balanced output version in the new ADI 2/4 Pro. I wondered if that same bi-amp headphone output can be installed in the ADI 2-DAC stereo, feeding demanding headphone versions. The unit connects to an iMac for listening to two-channel music.

ATC
Gert R.J. Smit.

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-28 00:31:24)

ATP wrote:

RME installs two amps in a balanced output version in the new ADI 2/4 Pro.

Yes, but that are the two existing single ended amps of the “Pro”-version’s channels PH1/2 and PH3/4.
They are combined by switching relays into one balanced amp stage.
See ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s manual page 80.

ATP wrote:

I wondered if that same bi-amp headphone output can be installed in the ADI 2-DAC stereo, feeding demanding headphone versions.

Could be done, but the extra amp in the DAC would significantly increase the cost, reducing the price benefit from DAC vs. Pro.

The ADI-2 series headphones amp in each model is designed with no compromise.
One of ADI-2 Pro’s and DAC’s single ended stereo drive stages alone has 6 dual-amp chips, 12 drive amplifiers combined in total, and the stronger ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s has 16.

Hello Kai,
I'll make a start with the ADI pro FS. It's going to be an interesting journey.
One more question. What can RME offer to connect a Josephson C700 microphone to the MAC ?

Regards,
ATC
Gert R.J. Smit.

If I bought new today I would definetly get ADI-2 2/4 Pro se. Ive had DAC and now PRO. These are super, but today I would get 2/4 se. Because of the combination of features.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Hello Happy-amateur,
Thanks for your reaction. I've studied the ADI 2/4 Pro and you're right. It's the better option for now and for the future. I've changed my order and ordered a ADI 2/4 pro instead. I have to wait for a few months, but it's no problem to wait for good equipment one is going to like in the end.
Regards,
ATP.

ATP wrote:

Hello Happy-amateur,
Thanks for your reaction. I've studied the ADI 2/4 Pro and you're right. It's the better option for now and for the future. I've changed my order and ordered a ADI 2/4 pro instead. I have to wait for a few months, but it's no problem to wait for good equipment one is going to like in the end.
Regards,
ATP.

Happy on your behalf, with a streak of envy ;D

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_