Topic: FIREFACE Buffer Size change affects windows sounds.

I own a BabyFace Pro FS and if I keep adding VSTS and Plugins to my session in my DAW there are times where I need to increase the BUFFER Size inside of my FIREFACE USB Settings to accommodate or maybe I am about to start tracking and will want to turn down the BUFFER Size. 

Unfortunately, anytime I make a change up or down it throws off my WINDOWS sounds and they sound slow and distorted (e.g., windows alert sounds, video, and audio playback both via something like Windows Media Player or a website like YouTube).

If I return to the original BUFFER size the issue doesn't correct itself.  I need to restart my PC so that my windows sounds can sound normal again.  It doesn't matter at what BUFFER size I am in, a simple PC restart corrects the issue.  Keep in mind I don't have to return to any specific BUFFER size for windows to play correctly.  If I make a change to the buffer size the windows audio is messed up and a restart of the PC fixes it regardless of what BUFFER size is set at the time of the restart.

Is there any way to make it so that a BUFFER size change doesn't affect windows?

Re: FIREFACE Buffer Size change affects windows sounds.

Bumping this. I have the same problem with my UFX. Anyone find a solution to this?

From the manual, page 19:
We recommend switching all system sounds off (via >Control Panel /Sounds<). Although the Babyface Pro comes with extensive support for system audio, setting it to be the Default Device for playback could cause problems when working with ASIO.
Increasing the number and/or size of audio buffers may prevent the audio signal from breaking up, but also increases latency i.e. output is delayed. For synchronized playback of audio and MIDI (or similar), be sure to activate the checkbox ‘Get position from audio driver’.

Maybe this?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

The main issue here is that some (back)ground program uses WDM while the buffer size is switched. So it gets corrupted and stays like that. You will need to find out what that is. With no WDM activity one can change WDM size any time and continue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Cool. Yeah, with previous interfaces, I could have other programs that use sound open without a conflict. Good to know that I need to close these. Thanks!

Wrong wording. You can still have other programs open, and even more than with your previous interfaces (this is a multiclient WDM/ASIO plus multiclient ASIO driver), but you should not fiddle with buffer settings while using all this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME