Topic: RME RayDAT Strangeness - Invalid Serial Number

Hey there.
I've been a happy RayDAT user for years. Today I was helping a friend with a Windows machine, and we took an old RayDAT from his old Pyramix machine and put it in his build (8th Gen intel).

We're troubleshooting some PCIe wierdness with his rig (he uses it for vMix) which we're still not happy with. Anyway, amongst this we tried this RayDAT. In a 1x slot he gets a blue screen with hdsp.dll, but moving it to x4 slot worked so we could update firmware. The strange thing is, the firmware update would freeze. It couldn't see a serial number, and clicking start just made it freeze. After a reboot, and putting it in the x16 slot, moving GFX to x4 slot, the computer booted fine, no dll crash and we could see the serial number, and updated the firmware. Now, the card seems to work but the serial number is still now XXXXXXXX.

I brought the card home and plopped it in a different machine. Drivers install fine, but still strange things going on:
https://i.imgur.com/UvtMXyZ.png

Device Info... in TotalMix is also blank but the card did seem to work in vMix.

Just wondering if this is a hardware problem, or if another flash could help. The current flash screen I'm seeing looks a little corrupted so just wondering what you'd suggest.

Thanks

2 (edited by weezul 2023-01-04 22:01:37)

Re: RME RayDAT Strangeness - Invalid Serial Number

Update: I clicked flash....

https://i.imgur.com/DtHS3zk.png

Uh oh. The flasher got stuck where you see here with an error... This is on Windows 10 box, 4th gen intel , MSI H81i motherboard. Only has one PCIe slot.
After a restart, totalmix works, WDM devices seem to work, signal makes it to Totalmix software inputs still.
I have one more computer I could try the card in, my current RayDAT machine. I could swap the cards and check the behaviour.

The XXXXXXX serial number is a bad sign, could you put the card into the working PC and try to flash update it there?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hey Jeff

Those screenshots are from my working computer.
Sorry I know it's a bit confusing.

Original machine with problems: Client's 8700 with RayDAT pulled from old old pyramix machine

My spare machine where that old RayDAT still has XXXXX serial: mini itx 4th gen intel, where screenshots are from.

My other machine where my own RayDAT has worked for years: 6700k machine

As an update, I put my own RayDAT confirmed working into the 8700k client machine, and RayDAT works fine, serial number and flasher tool looks normal again, so I would assume the card is maybe done? Or maybe the dodgy PCIe slots in his computer ended in a dodgy flash that broke it. Pic:
https://i.imgur.com/ltVB9R4.png

The last thing I could try would be to put the broken RayDAT into my 6700k build. It's a hackintosh machine, but currently dualbooting with Windows IIRC, so could try flashing from either. I never had problems flashing over the years in MacOS on that machine.

Cheers

MC wrote:

No serial number means the card must be sent in. This is not repairable by a flash tool, sorry.

It's all good. Just seems like a stream of bad luck, as we also had an old blackmagic decklink which was not being recognised on every boot either.... Hence the worries about PCIe lanes before looking at an upgrade. That decklink has been through the ringer though, and it's bent.... It's likely he would prefer MADI in the machine anyhow, so it's worth knowing that it should in theory be fine.

It's unlikely he'll bother sending it back but I will let him know. I'll pour one out for the little guy. Thanks for your swift responses both of you, it's appreciated.

The same thing happened to my Raydat when I updated with version 2.47 of the Flash update tool when selecting "DriverKit compatible". I was able to restore the Raydat to normal behavior by using version 2.36 of the Flash update tool. I then tried 2.47 again with "DriverKit compatible" unselected and it worked. My Raydat now shows Revision=18 and the serial number is correct.

7 (edited by Jorge Ruiz 2023-01-05 17:49:02)

jreinhard wrote:

The same thing happened to my Raydat when I updated with version 2.47 of the Flash update tool when selecting "DriverKit compatible". I was able to restore the Raydat to normal behavior by using version 2.36 of the Flash update tool. I then tried 2.47 again with "DriverKit compatible" unselected and it worked. My Raydat now shows Revision=18 and the serial number is correct.

Thanks a lot. I had the same issue (empty serial number after flashing my RayDat to v19 DriverKit). Following your suggestion I could restore the card back to v16, and then upgrade it to v18 Legacy. By the way, the Flash Update Tool v2.36 can be downloaded here: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

Jorge Ruiz wrote:
jreinhard wrote:

Thanks a lot. I had the same issue (empty serial number after flashing my RayDat to v19 DriverKit). Following your suggestion I could restore the card back to v16, and then upgrade it to v18 Legacy. By the way, the Flash Update Tool v2.36 can be downloaded here: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

Well I'll Be Damned

https://i.imgur.com/zh53no3.png

going back to 16 worked and i saw the SN again.
going then to 19 driver kit resulted in XXXXXX
back to 16, then to 18 legacy has worked.

Have you two had same stability etc since being on 18 after the XXXXX?

One for the team maybe? Thanks all.

weezul wrote:

Have you two had same stability etc since being on 18 after the XXXXX?

Yes, it seems to be ok with the v18 Legacy, but I haven't had much time to test it thoroughly yet. However, to say the truth, my RayDat has also been working fine for almost a week with the "bad" v19 DriverKit firmware installed, so I don't really know if this is more a cosmetic rather than a functional issue.

Thanks guys, this is a very unexpected and unusual side effect of the new FUT. We hope to be able to fix this on Monday.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just tried fut_wdm_dspe version 2.48, and it has the same issues as 2.47.

Nope, that's the driver. V 4.40 will be up in an hour.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, driver v4.40 and firmware v2.48 works in both legacy and DriverKit modes. Thanks.