Topic: XLR outputs on original Babyface are hissy but headphones are fine

Hi,

I have an original Babyface and if I use the XLR outputs into my Mackie Big Knob Studio then I get an audible hiss but if I run a cable from the headphone output either on the Babyface or the headphone output on the d-sub cable then there is no hiss.

The fact that I don't get the issue with the headphones makes me think it's not a ground loop or gain staging issue.  I'm running a running MacOS Monterey 12.3.1 with the latest drivers and firmware.  The issue is the same irrespective of whether the Babyface is connected to my Mac via my Caldigit Thunderbolt dock or directly to the USB ports on the Mac.

I've also tried two different d-sub cables on the Babyface and the issue is the same in both cases.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, did you manage to resolve it?

Kind regards,

Joe

Re: XLR outputs on original Babyface are hissy but headphones are fine

Checking Firmware and driver is the first thing I would do.
You may read out the versions you have in use ?

I use Babyface silver and Babyface blue on different Macs, also this one M1 Ventura and have no hiss or other issue.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: XLR outputs on original Babyface are hissy but headphones are fine

Maybe there are simply hardware mic input channels with open gain routed to the XLR outs? It happened to me several times wondering about hiss in outputs, then realising that there are open input faders. Because every output (pair) has its own mix, it’s possible to have the issue only on this particular outputs but not on the headphones.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2