Topic: Fireface UFX Windows 10 (64) - device cannot start

Hello,
Purchased a used FF UFX and attempted to install today. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded and installed driver_usb_win_1224.zip and installed the driver.
2. Plugged the FF UFX into a USB 2 port.

Now I have a device "Fireface UFX (2356XXX)" in Device Manager. Status is "This device cannot start (Code 10)". The driver is a generic Microsoft USB Audio 2.0 driver.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, rebooting, lots of different combinations and can't get anywhere. I tried driver version 1093 and that didn't seem to help. There are no icons in the system tray ever.

I'm a bit lost, can someone advise?

Re: Fireface UFX Windows 10 (64) - device cannot start

Additional data: DPINST file:

INFO:   01/08/2023 11:16:01
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.0.6000
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0300, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: 'C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\dpinst64.exe'
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   Running on path 'C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   User UI Language is 0x409.
INFO:   Install option set: Force install if driver is not better.
INFO:   Install option set: uninstall will be set to delete driver binaries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\fireface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'c:\users\doug\appdata\local\temp\rme\fireface_usb.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
SUCCESS:c:\users\doug\appdata\local\temp\rme\fireface_usb.inf is preinstalled.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageGetPathW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
INFO:   Installing INF file 'c:\users\doug\appdata\local\temp\rme\fireface_usb.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO:   Looking for Model Section [Devices.NTAMD64]...
INFO:   No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fireface_usb.inf_amd64_11a7ce6ef1ea8220\fireface_usb.inf" on the Machine.
INFO:   No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fireface_usb.inf_amd64_11a7ce6ef1ea8220\fireface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0xE000020B)
INFO:   No matching device was found for 'c:\users\doug\appdata\local\temp\rme\fireface_usb.inf'. Driver will be installed when plugged in.
INFO:   Created entry in Add or Remove Programs for 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fireface_usb.inf_amd64_11a7ce6ef1ea8220\fireface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Returning with code 0x100
INFO:   01/08/2023 11:16:12

I don’t have this interface (but some other RME ones) and I’m a Mac user, anyway here my ideas:
- USB driver v1224 is the right one, the older is for XP only (afaik)
- try simple things as swap to another USB port or another cable, change start/boot order (computer first, then interface or vice versa), power the interface off and on while it’s plugged to the running computer
- download and run the firmware update tool (fut), maybe the UFX is on an old firmware

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-08 18:18:38)

oli77sch wrote:

I don’t have this interface (but some other RME ones) and I’m a Mac user, anyway here my ideas:
- try simple things as swap to another USB port or another cable, change start/boot order (computer first, then interface or vice versa), power the interface off and on while it’s plugged to the running computer
- download and run the firmware update tool (fut), maybe the UFX is on an old firmware

Oh wait, the UFX probably simply is in class compliant mode! Have a look to the manual, you have to set it to native driver mode using the hardware encoder knob.

5 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-08 18:23:43)

oli77sch wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Oh wait, the UFX probably simply is in class compliant mode! Have a look to the manual, you have to set it to native driver mode using the hardware encoder knob.

Activation of the Class Compliant mode: Remove USB and FireWire cable from the UFX. Press SETUP/REV. Turn encoder 1 until Options appears in the display. Turn encoder 2 until Hard- ware/Diagnosis appears. Push encoder 2 several times to select the entry CC Mode. Turn en- coder 2 to switch CC mode on (or off). The UFX reboots, all LEDs light up, after which it will be in Class Compliant mode.

31.2 Class Compliant Mode under Windows and Mac OS X
On a Windows PC, Class Compliant mode is indicated by a missing “RME“ in the device name shown in the Device Manager. In the correct mode and with installed drivers, the full name in- cluding RME is shown, without serial number.
Windows does not support USB Audio 2.0 directly. The UFX will be detected, but automatic driver installation will fail. This is important to remember. Connecting it to the PC one day after having it used with the iPhone/iPad one might forget that it is still in CC mode. You might end up with hours of wasted time trying to repair your driver installation – when all you need to do is set the unit back to normal mode.

Fantastic!

That worked. My paper-copy manual is early and doesn't have CC information in it. Downloaded the latest (2016?) version and I'm reading it.

No system tray icons or anything yet, may need to re-install driver blob again. Running through the documentation now.