Topic: 12Mic-D and ethernet remote control

Hello all,

I did some searching now to try to discover the answer to the following question and did not see this exact scenario addressed -- but please forgive me if I missed something somewhere.

I am interested in the 12Mic-D for on-location classical music recording where it would connect to other Dante-enabled devices I own.  In this context, I wanted to confirm whether or not the 12Mic can be remote-controlled using the IP-based web interface WHILE also transmitting its signals via Dante at the same time?  (and through the same ethernet port)

I saw at least one product review where it was implied that if the ethernet port was passing Dante signals, the user would need to use USB (only) for remote control, and reviewing the 12Mic manual, it does not seem to explicitly say that remote control and Dante traffic are possible simultaneously with the network ports.  I know some other Dante-enabled preamp/AD units with similar general functionality will offer a separate remote port, and that there can potentially be issues with remote control signals being interfered with by the higher-priority Dante traffic, so I just wanted to double check about this.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Re: 12Mic-D and ethernet remote control

Hi,

it's absolutely possible to have both (control/web interface and Dante audio streaming) over the same port.

Out of curiousity: Can you post a link to the review that states it doesn't work?

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Marc!

I don't mean to cast any shadows on this YouTube reviewer (who seems to do a fairly good job in general demonstrating the remote control app) but he mentions it just after 1:05 in this video:

https://youtu.be/BBUF0TxJyNg?t=65
"You can connect to it [the web GUI] via USB, which is what you need to do when you're using it on a Dante network, and if I'm using it directly connected AVB to an AVB network, I can get the IP address..."

Which seemed to imply that Dante signal flow and web interface control were mutually exclusive.  I'm glad to learn this is not the case, and thank you again for clearing up this question.

Oh, I see. The video is about the AVB version of the 12Mic (i.e. without "-D"). It is kind of a workaround to bring it into a Dante network using MADI and a separate Dante interface, made at a time when the 12Mic-D wasn't announced yet.
Plus the comment is misleading, even in that scenario it's possible to just connect it to the (Dante) network and control it from there.

Marc S wrote:

Oh, I see. The video is about the AVB version of the 12Mic (i.e. without "-D"). It is kind of a workaround to bring it into a Dante network using MADI and a separate Dante interface, made at a time when the 12Mic-D wasn't announced yet.

Ah yes -- my mistake.  I was looking for videos demonstrating what the web app is like for controlling the unit and somehow neglected to pay attention to which exact model was being discussed and date of the video.

Thanks again!