Topic: Question about using a presonus firestudio with a raydat

Just got my rme raydat card and got it installed and got everything working as far as ins and outs using my PreSonus fire Studio firewire 400 interface using the Adat connections. My noob question is, is going back into the PreSonus from the rme card dumbing down anything? I wouldn't think so because I'm using the rme card as the device in Cubase and the firewire speed of the PreSonus is on the back end and has nothing to do with latency or anything like that....or so i think that's what's happening....
If so, what's a reasonable da converter besides the rme baby face or something extremely high-end as don't have the money for that.
Just trying find the best way to get the output from the raydat to the monitors.
I posted this question to rme and they said to get a babyface or a fireface 800....are they insinuating the firewire 400 speed of the firestuido has an adverse effect on things...or lobbying their own products...lol

2 (edited by ramses 2023-01-09 12:14:37)

Re: Question about using a presonus firestudio with a raydat

What is the problem?

Why don't you just connect your old Presonus card to the RME RayDAT?
Why this strange remark about RME lobbying their products? What should RME recommend to you apart from RME products?

Sorry, but all sounds a little confusing, please clarify what your concrete demand / question is.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by vinark 2023-01-09 15:14:57)

Just got my rme raydat card and got it installed and got everything working as far as ins and outs using my PreSonus fire Studio firewire 400 interface using the Adat connections. My noob question is, is going back into the PreSonus from the rme card dumbing down anything? I wouldn't think so because I'm using the rme card as the device in Cubase and the firewire speed of the PreSonus is on the back end and has nothing to do with latency or anything like that....or so i think that's what's happening....

No everything is fine like this. You are using the raydat adat ports (and rme driver) The firestudio is just your AD-DA converter. !00% fine!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

ramses wrote:

What is the problem?

Why this strange remark about RME lobbying their products? What should RME recommend to you apart from RME products?

Sorry, but all sounds a little confusing, please clarify what your concrete demand / question is.

That's what i wanted to do and did when i got my raydat card.l. This is my 1st venture into pcie cards so I'm not exactly sure how everything works.

The strange remark was because i told rme directly in an email i was planning to connect my presonus to the radat card via adat. they wouldn't say yes and acknowledge that would work, they had to lobby their products to go along with the raydat card which would have cost me more money for no reason when i had something that would have worked and they knew it would work....not cool.

I total agree that rme products are superior to presonus and so far i love my set up though i think i need a faster computer to take advantage of the raydat's speed/low buffer settings. Im running a dell t7500 workstation with duall Xenon 3.4gzh chips and 24 gigs of ddr3. I'm finding out that server chips are not the best for recording...
You've responded to a few of my posts and i do appreciate your help as always

vinark wrote:

No everything is fine like this. You are using the raydat adat ports (and rme driver) The firestudio is just your AD-DA converter. !00% fine!

Thanks, that's what thought

6 (edited by ramses 2023-01-09 19:12:41)

jl71 wrote:
ramses wrote:

What is the problem?

That's what i wanted to do and did when i got my raydat card.l. This is my 1st venture into pcie cards so I'm not exactly sure how everything works.

The strange remark was because i told rme directly in an email i was planning to connect my presonus to the radat card via adat. they wouldn't say yes and acknowledge that would work, they had to lobby their products to go along with the raydat card which would have cost me more money for no reason when i had something that would have worked and they knew it would work....not cool.

I total agree that rme products are superior to presonus and so far i love my set up though i think i need a faster computer to take advantage of the raydat's speed/low buffer settings. Im running a dell t7500 workstation with duall Xenon 3.4gzh chips and 24 gigs of ddr3. I'm finding out that server chips are not the best for recording...
You've responded to a few of my posts and i do appreciate your help as always

It is not the task of RME to recommend third-party products. Such a recommendation is accompanied by a certain responsibility that the setup works like this.
As a company, they can of course only guarantee this for their products.
They even recommended products from their portfolio to you with a sense of proportion, which are not too expensive at all. Even a card that is no longer manufactured and is only available on used market. Normally, no company makes such recommendations to use something from used market. Therefore, I think there is absolutely no reason to complain.

Like Vinark told, you can use the Presonus as AD/DA converter card. Maybe even in stand-alone mode, if the card allows. Otherwise, you need to keep it connected to the PC via Firewire.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses I think you misread the op. I see no complaint there, only some insecurity. His question was if he really needed more expensive gear. Do take in account that most of us are not native English speakers.
Cheers my friend!

Vincent, Amsterdam

I don't have English as a native language, either, and I found this thread hard to answer.
Many of his requirements are still unclear.

To find the best matching solution would have required further details about his setup and requirements.

Unfortunately, he did not work further on the thread where he asked for help: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36527

He was merely asking if his setup was ok and was happy when the answer was yes

Vincent, Amsterdam