Topic: Fireface 800 & Windows 11 thunderbolt

Hi all

I've read the various discussions. Trying to see if there's a way to continue using my Fireface 800 with a new windows 11 laptop that has thunderbolt 4 ports.

I tried the firewire800 -> thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 3/4 adapter chain but I can't get windows to see the fireface.

If anyone has succeeded with this, please let me know. I currently have the Fireface running on windows 11 on a desktop via PCI card, so that works for me, but I don't think it's worth buying a PCI chassis just to run that firewire card with the laptop.

IDEAS?

Or is there a clever way to use the I/O of the fireface with a newer interface? I'm thinking not because of access to the routing, but I lack experience with a lot of this end of things.

Re: Fireface 800 & Windows 11 thunderbolt

Hi

Sorry to ask this, but are there for sure Thunderbolt ports on the Laptop, not simple USB(-C) ones?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for checking.

Yes, the laptop has TB4 ports. The adapter shows up in the device manager, but not as 1394, just as a thunderbolt adapter. I'm not sure if it's the TB4-TB2 adapter or the TB2 - Firewire adapter.

And both adapters are the Apple ones that others have been able to use successfully (but maybe only on Macs?)

THANKS!

4 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-11 15:44:22)

asdf1234 wrote:

Thanks for checking.

Yes, the laptop has TB4 ports. The adapter shows up in the device manager, but not as 1394, just as a thunderbolt adapter. I'm not sure if it's the TB4-TB2 adapter or the TB2 - Firewire adapter.

And both adapters are the Apple ones that others have been able to use successfully (but maybe only on Macs?)

THANKS!

Ok. I only habe experience with RME interfaces on Macs. There the named two Apple adapters work in most cases.
Is there maybe a sort of driver needed to make the FireWire connection work? So not only the RME driver but also one to use a FireWire device over the adapters at all. Do you have another FireWire device (old camcorder, external hd/ssd …) to check that? EDIT: do you see an IEEE1394 host controller in the device manager on your Laptop?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2