1 (edited by Data 2022-12-25 09:13:19)

Topic: UCX II - gain changes with new firmware

After updating my UCX II to the newest firmware from Dec 22 (USB 40 DSP 26 CC20) I suddenly get much higher level from my microphones on Mic / Line 1 + 2, even though I have not changed the gain setting (compared to the previous firmware). My recordings are much louder (>6 dB) and are indeed clipping when using the same gain settings as before.

The release notes say "All instrument and line Gains of the analog inputs now have 24 dB gain range". But is the above expected behaviour then?

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

Re: UCX II - gain changes with new firmware

Yes that was the intention. Many people have been waiting for this as they couldn’t get enough gain for guitars

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Data wrote:

After updating my UCX II to the newest firmware (USB 40 DSP 26 CC20) I suddenly get much higher level from my microphones on Mic / Line 1 + 2, even though I have not changed the gain setting (compared to the previous firmware). My recordings are much louder (>6 dB) and are indeed clipping when using the same gain settings as before.

The release notes say "All instrument and line Gains of the analog inputs now have 24 dB gain range.". But is the above expected behaviour then?

From the readme.txt of the firmware file dated 2022-11-30 (checked again just now) the version of UCX II is "Fireface UCX II: USB 39, DSP 24, Class Compliant 19" same as the one for dated 2021-12-16. Same text in liesmich.txt

I did not try to flash the firmware as the readme.txt said it was the same version as from last year.

I did not update the Windows driver for my UCX II as the latest driver for my ADI-2 DAC FS gave echos on pause/play (see recent thread). When reverting the MADI driver it worked as usual.

Muffin wrote:
Data wrote:

After updating my UCX II to the newest firmware (USB 40 DSP 26 CC20) I suddenly get much higher level from my microphones on Mic / Line 1 + 2, even though I have not changed the gain setting (compared to the previous firmware). My recordings are much louder (>6 dB) and are indeed clipping when using the same gain settings as before.

The release notes say "All instrument and line Gains of the analog inputs now have 24 dB gain range.". But is the above expected behaviour then?

From the readme.txt of the firmware file dated 2022-11-30 (checked again just now) the version of UCX II is "Fireface UCX II: USB 39, DSP 24, Class Compliant 19" same as the one for dated 2021-12-16. Same text in liesmich.txt

I did not try to flash the firmware as the readme.txt said it was the same version as from last year.

I did not update the Windows driver for my UCX II as the latest driver for my ADI-2 DAC FS gave echos on pause/play (see recent thread). When reverting the MADI driver it worked as usual.

The new fw was released on Dec 22 - for now, just via Mac, it seems.

Data wrote:
Muffin wrote:
Data wrote:

The new fw was released on Dec 22 - for now, just via Mac, it seems.

I did not check for Mac OS when I replied and you are correct in this. I'll wait :-)

While the added +12 dB for Inst/Line are intentional, the added +12 dB for mic are not. That's unfortunate as the mic inputs might be overloaded more easily. We will check this today and decide if a quick fix is possible or the old version goes back up first...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Does this happen with TotalMix FX 1.79 (BTW, where can we get that) or only with 1.78?

Both. It seems to be a DSP26 firmware issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias, I will hold fire on the update.

So it seems that rather than increasing the maximum allowable value for the gain control by 12dB, the reference input level was changed instead and a 12dB gain increase is applied across the board to all inputs, irrespective of how their individual gain controls are set, correct?

The fixed versions are now online., so this feature is finally available as intended: with driver 1.228 (which includes TM FX 1.79) and firmware USB 42 DSP 26 the channels 3 to 8 now have +24 dB maximum gain.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
Will TM FX 1.79 and the new firmware USB 42 DSP 26 also be made available for MacOS?
Right now, I only see firmware USB 39, DSP 24 and Driver 3.28 (with TM FX 1.78) on the Web site.

The updated Mac FUT is already on the website. The latest TM FX 1.79 can be downloaded individually here:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_179.zip

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_179.zip

in case the drivers are not yet updated with it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Superb update - thanks a lot!

Hello, with UCX II (Windows 11), is it possible to have a gain of 24dB on inputs 3-4 etc...?

I see in my UCX II TotalMix FX version 1.79, input Analog 3 etc… +13 or 19dB not 24dB

Driver date : 20 12 22
Driver version 1.224
Hardware revision : 42
Device info UCX II SW version: 26
TotalMix FX version 1.79
Windows 11
Thanks.

W11, UCX II, Cubase 13 Pro, Dorico 5, WaveLab 11

jpieraudio wrote:

Hello, with UCX II (Windows 11), is it possible to have a gain of 24dB on inputs 3-4 etc...?

I see in my UCX II TotalMix FX version 1.79, input Analog 3 etc… +13 or 19dB not 24dB

Driver date : 20 12 22
Driver version 1.224
Hardware revision : 42
Device info UCX II SW version: 26
TotalMix FX version 1.79
Windows 11
Thanks.

Yes, you can do that (at least on Windows 10). In TotalMix FX in the Settings for the hardware input you can turn the knob just below the drop down menu-button for selecting +13 or +19. Turning the know is done by using the scroll wheel on your mouse, or you can double-clock on the numbers on the right of it to manually enter gain from 0 to 24.

Did you turn the UCX II on/off after firmware update? The PC also needs an reboot after installing the new driver.

See manual for the UCX II in chapter "19.3 Instrument / Line Front" page 41. The manual has not yet been updated for the new gain range.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_e.pdf

Hi,
you say : "Turning the know is done by using the scroll wheel on your mouse, or you can double-clock on the numbers on the right of it to manually enter gain from 0 to 24."

It is exactly this !!! Thank you ;

jpieraudio wrote:

Hi,
you say : "Turning the know is done by using the scroll wheel on your mouse, or you can double-clock on the numbers on the right of it to manually enter gain from 0 to 24."

It is exactly this !!! Thank you ;

Nice to hear that it worked out for you.

Forgot to write that you can "rotate" the knob by dragging with left mouse button pressed.

Don't forget: if you need high gain, set the reference level to low(+13)!

Thank you both, it is now precise and complete ;
"Turning the know... enter gain from 0 to 24."
" if you need high gain, set the reference level to low(+13)"