Topic: ADI-2 Pro with external DAC

is it possible to use SPDIF out on the ADI-2 Pro (connected to PC via USB) to an external DAC and then analog back into the ADI-2 Pro?
I want to compare the internal DAC of the ADI-2 Pro with my external DACs, but still use the same headphone amp on the ADI-2.

Re: ADI-2 Pro with external DAC

Please look at the block diagrams in the manual, chapter 17.2 Preamp to 17.6 DAC. PH 1/2 can only be powered by one of the DSP/DAC of the ADI-2 Pro and PH 3/4 by the other, in all modes. Analog input always goes to the ADC/DSP

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

is it possible to use SPDIF out on the ADI-2 Pro (connected to PC via USB) to an external DAC and then analog back into the ADI-2 Pro?
I want to compare the internal DAC of the ADI-2 Pro with my external DACs, but still use the same headphone amp on the ADI-2.

Yes. There are several possible “Modes” to do that.

Look at manual page 43, DAC-Mode.

Set:
• SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: “DAC”
• SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / Digital Out Source: “Default”

Then you can select the playback source for PH1/2 and PH3/4 to compare between your other DAC and ADI-2 Pro under:
• I/O / Main Output 1/2 / Settings / AD/DA Source: “Analog“ or “USB”

Is a comparison useful if the analog output signal of the other DAC is digitized in the ADI-2 Pro before the headphone amplifier and converted back to analog?

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-18 15:15:35)

rawac wrote:

Is a comparison useful if the analog output signal of the other DAC is digitized in the ADI-2 Pro before the headphone amplifier and converted back to analog?

... if the alternative DAC has special sound characteristics, e.g. containing a vacuum tube.

After all, ADI-2 Pro has quite a neutral sound, so could reveal this.

Thanks!

rawac wrote:

I am also concerned about the additional AD/DA conversion. Maybe I borrow a good Pre-Amp. But first I will try it and see if i hear differences.

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-18 17:21:43)

hasan.ay386 wrote:
rawac wrote:

I am also concerned about the additional AD/DA conversion. Maybe I borrow a good Pre-Amp. But first I will try it and see if i hear differences.

You could first conduct a comparison without the external DAC, just the extra ADI-2 Pro’s DA-AD conversion, a straight cable DA to AD.

A problem could be to get the levels right.
ADI-2s controls are in steps of 0.5 dB, but in my experience a level difference of more than a few 1/100th dB spoils the result into invalid.