Topic: Babyface Pro FS and Midi questions

Hi everyone!

David Lai, back again with another question. I'm using a Dell Precision 3560 with the Babyface Pro FS connected to one of the USB type C ports. I also have the Kawai VPC1, a 88-key midi controller connected to a powered USB hub. The hubhttps://www.amazon.com/Rosonway-Aluminu … 0838STJDJ/ has its own power supply. However, it seems like the computer doesn't have enough power to feed to the VPC1, always giving me the problem of the keyboard still being connected, but no midi signal was sent (no sound from my laptop).

I'm thinking of trying out the traditional midi connection, or get a power supply for the Babyface. What do you suggest me to do? If I need to use the midi connection, what cable should I get?

Thank you!

David

Re: Babyface Pro FS and Midi questions

The Babyface is a Midi interface and the Kawai keyboard is a midi interface too when connected via USB.
Two Midi interfaces at the same time will probably not work.
I would connect the keyboard with a midi cable directly to the Babyface.
Any cheap regular midi cable will work.
https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_s … _kabel.htm

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

I would connect the keyboard with a midi cable directly to the Babyface.

Thank you for your encouragement! Question: what is the included midi breakout cable used for? Also, I have about 1 meter (3 feet) of distance between the midi ports on the interface and the keyboard, so not a long distance. If I need to use the breakout cable, then I guess I'll need a short midi cable? Thanks!

Hi
Normally it’s absolutely no problem to use more than one USB-Midi devices at the same time. It’s really not the same as with audio interfaces. I think the issue with the Kawai is not related to that.
The breakout cable is simply made to convert two standard size Midi ports to one single combined small in and out port on the Babyface, designed to save space on the housing.

Greetings, Oliver

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
Normally it’s absolutely no problem to use more than one USB-Midi devices at the same time. It’s really not the same as with audio interfaces. I think the issue with the Kawai is not related to that.
The breakout cable is simply made to convert two standard size Midi ports to one single combined small in and out port on the Babyface, designed to save space on the housing.

Greetings, Oliver

Thank you, Oliver! So, if I want to connect my Kawai with the Babyface Pro FS, what things do I need for it to work? I'm a newbie here, thanks!

No, you can use a 5m Midi cable, no problem. A 2m cable would fit well.
The breakout midicable is just a midi adapter for connecting midi cables to the Babyface.
The midi connectors are too big for the Babyface therefor RME has a one small connector plus the breakout cable.

waedi wrote:

No, you can use a 5m Midi cable, no problem. A 2m cable would fit well.
The breakout midicable is just a midi adapter for connecting midi cables to the Babyface.
The midi connectors are too big for the Babyface therefor RME has a one small connector plus the breakout cable.

I see. So do I need the breakout cable in my situation?

Yes, otherwise you don't have midi connectors at the Babyface.

waedi wrote:

Yes, otherwise you don't have midi connectors at the Babyface.

OK, I see. To summarize, midi cable + included breakout cable = midi connection dirrectly to Babyface with Kawai keyboard. Am I understanding it correctly?

Exactly !

Absolutely no problem having more than one usb interface. Can’t you give the keyboard an exclusive usb port? Anyway if not then midi out of the keyboard to midi in on the breakout cable on the bfp.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Can’t you give the keyboard an exclusive usb port? Anyway if not then midi out of the keyboard to midi in on the breakout cable on the bfp.

I can give my only remaining USB type A port to the keyboard, but I prefer to have the plugs remain in where I plug them. There are some hardware that are expected to be plugged in and out, like removable hard drives, but I feel something like a midi keyboard, if I can make them stay, the better.

I've since purchased a midi cable that's coming in 2 to 4 business days. Hopefully that will solve my problem.

Hi friends! As a finale post, I wanted to let you know that I solved my problem by buying a midi cable and connecting directly to the Babyface Pro FS, using the included breakout cable. So far, my Kawai VPC1 is still working, fully functional. Thanks for helping me sort this out, appreciate your efforts!!!