Topic: Expected latencies with Digiface USB and TotalMix fx

Hello,
I'm interested in buying my first RME as I come from years of disappointing results wit other brands' drivers.
I was looking at the Digiface USB so that I can use some ADAT pres and converters I already have.

My usual studio setup was bsed on a digital mixer (Midas M32) that I sold and my workflow was pretty common: microphones/instruments into the mixer, output via USB to a DAW, real time monitoring from the mixer itself.

Is this workflow replicable via the Digiface USB and TotalMix? I mean, does Totalmix work on the "hardware" side, so that any routing is done in almost real time, independently from the pc hardware specs?

Thanks,
Frank

Re: Expected latencies with Digiface USB and TotalMix fx

yes exactly

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

But if you want to add reverb or eq while monitoring the digiface can’t do this. You would need to go through the DAW. Those features are on other models but not the digiface.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thanks for the answers.
Yes, the lack of dsp is the missing feature that is making me think about other models like ucx or babyface.
What exactly is missing? I read about dsp powered features like reverb, eq, compression. I would use those for example only while monitoring and recording (for example a singer that asks for some reverb on the voice while recording) but it would be cool to have them.
Thanks,
Frank

It does not have EQ, Dynamics, Reverb, Echo.

6 (edited by Yearofthegoat 2023-01-24 07:34:29)

francoalberganti wrote:

Thanks for the answers.
Yes, the lack of dsp is the missing feature that is making me think about other models like ucx or babyface.
What exactly is missing? I read about dsp powered features like reverb, eq, compression. I would use those for example only while monitoring and recording (for example a singer that asks for some reverb on the voice while recording) but it would be cool to have them.
Thanks,
Frank

I was in a similar situation to you and bought a Digiface USB precisely to get the low latency performance.  And it does just that - really unnoticeable in Reaper, FL Studio and Cubase when tracking with softsynths.

At the moment I am wondering whether to sell my Digiface and get some other RME box - because the Digiface doesn't do DSP, as you've seen (I'm not sure if I want to add to the Digiface, or replace it but that's OT).

Up to you at the end of the day! The Digiface is very handy though, and nicely portable.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
Just curious: what would you use dsp for? What model were you looking at as a replacement?
Thanks,
Frank

8 (edited by mkok 2023-01-24 15:44:34)

I used dsp to give a singer reverb without having to go through my DAW and latency problems. I used to use the eq for room correction but I use sonarworks now.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.