Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R - Problems switching source

Hello!

I am new to RME and trying to setup my device for home listening by headphone. In my setup I have 4 different sources connected to the device: Analog, SPDIF optical, SPDIF coax and USB.

Output is at the moment simply a headphone on PH3/4.

Since more than one source can be active, the basic mode DAC seems appropriate for this with manual source selection. This works as expected, but the sampling rate for the analog input cannot be set to my favoured value. It is taken from the last digital source selected.

A similar problem rises, when I use the PreAmp mode: The manual setting of the sampling rate will be overridden by the sampling rate of a digital input signal, if you temporarily switch to DAC mode (e.g. by loading settings).

Any ideals how to get this to work?

Thank you, best regards,
Immo.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-22 18:29:32)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R - Problems switching source

flyingscot wrote:

...4 different sources connected to the device: Analog, SPDIF optical, SPDIF coax and USB.
This works as expected, but the sampling rate for the analog input cannot be set to my favoured value. It is taken from the last digital source selected...

• You could save a “Setup” that contains your desired sample rate setting.

• Have a file ready to play with the desired sample rate before switching to analog.

3 (edited by flyingscot 2023-01-22 18:34:58)

Thank you for your quick answer. To be precise: at the moment USB is unplugged...

Now I found out: The ADC-Sampling rate will set to the sample rate of the SPDIF optical signal, and stays there, also when unplug the optical signal.

This seems strange to me. Nothing is done with the optical signal in this scenario, but it changes immediatly the ADC sampling rate.

4 (edited by flyingscot 2023-01-22 18:56:54)

I have realized this by loading setups for each source because the DAC mode also switches the sample rate but have no option to set an own rate.

I think you found a workaround: the sampling rate override only take place when USB or Optical is used. Coax didnt shown this behaviour. Luckily USB and optical will be used only temporarily. Only analog and coax delivers most of the time a signal.

After using USB or optical I have to reload the setup e.g. for analog again and my desired sampling rate is back... like you mentioned.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Immo

If coax didn't show this behaviour then the SRC might have been active. Otherwise there is no difference between using coax or optical inputs.

In digital audio there is only one clock, and unnecessary clock changes must be avoided as they cause (for example) serious reconfigurations on USB. The ADC sample rate must follow the current state, and will not jump around (change) to other sample rates when one task is over. Not to mention that one can't easily define what a 'task' is. It's all very complex  and complicated under the hood.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hmm, on my opinion, SRC is not active. And it works:
Loading Setup 1: PreAmp-Mode, Analog source with 192kHz/INT
Loading Setup 2: DAC-Mode, Coax Source with 44.1kHz/SPc (with my current external signal)

I can switch between both setups, the parameters remains the same. The signals are both present all the time.

Only Optical or USB must not be active, otherwise the sampling rate of setup 1 will be "overridden" to their rate.