Topic: babyface (not pro version) & new macs, again!

apologies. I know the topic of RME drivers & newer macs have already been discussed repeatedly but being honest it's quite hard to unpick all the different threads and language used & so far I haven't found specific posts about the earlier (blue) Babyface & newer macs.
I'm currently still using an older mac, on which I've never had an issue when using the Babyface, but updating to an M1 or M2 is looking probable. Apart from the hassle of not having a standard usb port I'm reading through all the issues users have had getting their RME drivers to work. So, I have 2 main questions;

will the interface work with its old cable (standard USB) into a usb - usb-c adaptor or is there a replacement cable that goes directly to usb-c?

is there a simple, easy to install driver yet for the earlier Babyface that works, reliably with the newer macs & does so without the need to resort to additional steps everytime you want to use the device or reboot the mac?

thanks

Re: babyface (not pro version) & new macs, again!

Hi and welcome here!

My Babyface pro uses the same USB driver as your original Babyface. I went thru the installation process as described on the RME site (recovery mode boot, allowing 3rd party extensions…) and now have the current official driver v3.28 on my Mac mini M1. All good so far, the interface works fine.
What firmware is installed on your Babyface?
Using a good quality adapter - USB-A port to USB-C plug - should work without any issues I would say.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi and welcome here!

My Babyface pro uses the same USB driver as your original Babyface. I went thru the installation process as described on the RME site (recovery mode boot, allowing 3rd party extensions…) and now have the current official driver v3.28 on my Mac mini M1. All good so far, the interface works fine.
What firmware is installed on your Babyface?
Using a good quality adapter - USB-A port to USB-C plug - should work without any issues I would say.

thanks. I do need to update the firmware on the BF & can't remember when I did that most recently. In terms of 'good quality adaptor' if anyone has feedback on the any non-apple ones that are good quality i'd be interested. I, like a lot of people, are so hacked off with apple for removing the various ports that stumping up more cash to them for adaptors is something I try to avoid.

jez wrote:

In terms of 'good quality adaptor' if anyone has feedback on the any non-apple ones that are good quality i'd be interested. I, like a lot of people, are so hacked off with apple for removing the various ports that stumping up more cash to them for adaptors is something I try to avoid.

For FireWire-Thunderbolt adaption the Apple products are highly recommended because there are active circuits involved.
But for a simple USB A to C adapter you can go for almost what you want. My 'good quality' was only meant to avoid buying super cheap stuff from the well known big online sellers. Right now I have my Babyface pro connected to my Mac mini USB-C port using the original cable plus a short adapter cable by Hama.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2