Topic: ADI-2/4 as Active crossover

Hi,.

Is it possible to use high pass / low pass on individual outputs.
For example would like to
-connect a power amp to XLR 1/2 and have a high pass filter at lets say 80Hz.
-connect 2 subwoofers (aes splitter) via AES1/2 and have a low pass filter at 80Hz. Or use Analog out 3/4 for the same.
Not sure about modes but ideally it would stream from the PC and also from the analog ins via RIAA mode.

Thanks.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-06 22:56:35)

Re: ADI-2/4 as Active crossover

Absolutely doable.

• Set DAC Mode (manual page 46), the most suitable for this purpose.
• XLR out, 1/2 to main speakers.
• Rear TRS routed to 3/4 (manual page 27), sub.
• Volume 1/2 and 3/4 can be linked (manual page 22).

I‘d suggest to use a simple measurement for setting the crossover, look here, case2 :

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

3 (edited by Notwist 2023-01-23 06:22:01)

Would this also work for ADI-2 PRO FS R BE?

If yes, how do we set the crossover in EQ (ie for 80hz), also does it only work in DAC mode? I connected my phono preamp to adi-2 pro via analog in, so it won't work when I listen to Vinyl?

Thanks in advance!

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-23 09:01:12)

Notwist wrote:

Would this also work for ADI-2 PRO FS R BE?

If yes, how do we set the crossover in EQ (ie for 80hz), also does it only work in DAC mode? I connected my phono preamp to adi-2 pro via analog in, so it won't work when I listen to Vinyl?

It‘s the same for ADI-2/4 SE Pro and ADI-2 Pro.
On ADI-2 Pro you can use the front PH3/4 for the sub output..

• DAC-Mode is the simplest to use and well suited for home use purpose.
• AD/DA Converter Mode would work too, but you need to select the source for each output separately, without gaining extra benefits.

In both modes you can select all available inputs for both output channels, including vinyl via preamp at ADI-2‘s analog in.

Setting a crossover, 1/2=Main speakers, 3/4=Subwoofer, example:
• Main EQ’s Band 1 set to Hi-Pass-Filter, 80 Hz, Q: 0.8
• Sub EQ’s Band 1 set to Low-Pass-Filter, 80 Hz, Q: 0.8

The example values will not automatically give a good transition.
Usually you need some overlap, reverse the phase of sub or main, play with the Q-factor etc.
There’s no way around measuring, for a result beyond some boom-box bass.

Look here for detailed info:

Thanks for the quick reply. Can't I route rear trs or some other rear port via breakout cable to 3/4. I already use both front ports so I need to use a back port for sub.

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-23 16:48:07)

Notwist wrote:

... Can't I route rear trs or some other rear port via breakout cable to 3/4. I already use both front ports so I need to use a back port for sub.

Yes, on ADI-2/4 Pro SE you can use Rear TRS for channel 3/4:

I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: “Ph. 3/4”

Keed in mind:
There are just two DACs / Output DSP Channels, so front and rear connections of each channel share the same settings if both are active at the same time.

But - as you either can listen to speaker OR headphones, this doesn’t need to be a limitation.
A full set of DSP settings can automatically be switched between Line Output 1/2 and Phones Output 1/2 when ‘phones are plugged into PH1/2.

I/O has separate menus for both.

Currently this is not the case for channel 3/4, I already asked for to add this in the future.

Meanwhile you could use individual “Setups” to load complete configurations when changing between front and rear / ‘phones and speakers, if you need all 4 outputs.
Same applies if you like to keep you ‘phones plugged.

ADI-2 gives us so many options smile

I have "ADI-2 PRO FS R BE" and I don't have ' Rear TRS Source' option in the menu. So there is no way to use any back ports for channel 3/4?

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-23 16:57:50)

Notwist wrote:

I have "ADI-2 PRO FS R BE" and I don't have ' Rear TRS Source' option in the menu. So there is no way to use any back ports for channel 3/4?

Ah - this is an ADI-2/4 Pro SE thread, missed to see it ... sorry!

The option for using Rear TRS for channel 3/4 is a novelty in ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

In your case either replugging or a switchbox is necessary.

Or you consider using ”case 1” from this configuration, which IMO can give even better subwoofer integration:

Works very nice if your main speakers have some amount of bass capability.