Topic: WDM device question for Babyface Pro FS

Hi everyone!

David again, back with a question / imagination / suggestion / whatever you choose to call this, I frankly am not sure how to properly describe this, so please read on.

Would it be possible in a future driver / firmware update to allow us to check / tick what WDM devices we want the Babyface to create? For example, I don't want AN (1+2), but I want the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) as input. Currently, if I want to get the SPDIF as my virtual loopback ports in my workflow, I'll need to set the number of WDM devices to 3, which would add AN 1+2, 3+4, and the SPDIF/ADAT 1+2. A couple of unused WDM devices were created. Of course, I can disable the unused devices in Windows / Device Manager, but I wonder if the driver settings provided such selection possibilities, some unused WDM devices won't be created in the first place, boosting performance.

Is this possible? Or am I just imagining things?

Would love input from the RME team and talented users out there.

Thank you!

David

Re: WDM device question for Babyface Pro FS

There is no perforemance difference with these few WDM devices created (and then not used).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no perforemance difference with these few WDM devices created (and then not used).

Then why does the manual say this: "Reduce the number of WDM devices to the ones really needed to improve performance of the operating system?" I guess if it didn't matter this much, the manual wouldn't say this, right? If we go by this point, I do have at least a couple of WDM devices unused, and probably turning them off in a certain way by the driver would be the best way forward, isn't it?

The interface I used before the Babyface has a menu item where I can access a dialogue box, checking the "hidden" WDM devices I want to expose. This setting gave me the ability to manage WDM devices in the driver level. If RME's USB settings had such a UI element, that would certainly be welcome, I think.

The 'performance' the manual talks about is a different one, like wait time between sample rate changes etc. It is used in all manuals and mainly relevant for the bigger interfaces with lots of channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The 'performance' the manual talks about is a different one, like wait time between sample rate changes etc. It is used in all manuals and mainly relevant for the bigger interfaces with lots of channels.

I see. Thank you, MC! So, in your opinion, 3 WDM devices with at least 2 unused is nothing to worry about. Am I understanding it correctly?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes.

Thank you for answering my concerns. Have a great day!!! smile