Topic: macOS Ventura and Fireface UCX using FireWire?

Hi, I'm wondering when RME Fireface UCX drivers for macOS Ventura for FireWire will appear? I'm holding off from upgrading to macOS Ventura (Beta) until I'm sure Fireface UCX FireWire will work for sure.

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

Re: macOS Ventura and Fireface UCX using FireWire?

AFAIK, Apple will ditch Kernel extensions (the classic type of drivers) for good with Ventura. Hence, there seems to be no chance whatsoever that Kernel drivers will work.

In the new beta driver thread by MC, he mentions that the new drivers are and will be USB only because the new Apple DriverKit also ditches FireWire support for good.

If I got that right, you should NOT upgrade. A beta OS is a bad idea anyway, and if this is all true, you will never be able to upgrade if you want to keep using your UCX.

Best regards,

Christian

Why not use USB?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Christian Baum wrote:

In the new beta driver thread by MC, he mentions that the new drivers are and will be USB only because the new Apple DriverKit also ditches FireWire support for good.

Surely PCIe will be supported too...!?

PCIe, yes, but Firewire coming in via PCI no.    If the DriverKit tosses Firewire entirely from the platform with Ventura, it just won't matter because (while the PCIe would still be visible) the driver won't validate or load-up.   

Hoping the Mac community out there comes perhaps with a workaround to get fw drivers to work in Ventura, but Apple is well-known for absolutely cancelling various tech over the years and without much in the way of a walkback.

Hey everyone, just wanted to report the the RME UFX works with OS Ventura via Firewire.......installed like normal, just had to allow system extension

bensrokosz wrote:

Hey everyone, just wanted to report the the RME UFX works with OS Ventura via Firewire.......installed like normal, just had to allow system extension

However RME has not added a dedicated version for Ventura officially, it would be great to get confirmation from the developers. It's great if it works, but I'm not sure can we trust it 100% on critical situations.

Kristijonas wrote:

However RME has not added a dedicated version for Ventura officially, it would be great to get confirmation from the developers. It's great if it works, but I'm not sure can we trust it 100% on critical situations.

Ventura is just a new version of MacOS, running on the same computers as before.
Migration from Intel to Apple silicon M1 / M2 is done since long ago.
No need to have a special dedicated driver for Ventura now as those drivers out there are working fine.
Critical situations have no dedicated DIN numbers so far, you will never be 100% safe.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

My Fireface 400 works perfect on my Mac mini M1 with macOS 13.1 Ventura. Connected using the Apple Adapters FW-TB2 and TB2-TB3. FireWire driver v3.41

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Can someone confirm that FireWire RME FireFace UCX works on macOS Ventura 13.1, please?
I'd hate to upgrade only to lose my main soundcard.

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

esaruoho wrote:

Can someone confirm that FireWire RME FireFace UCX works on macOS Ventura 13.1, please?
I'd hate to upgrade only to lose my main soundcard.

Sure it does. USB is no problem in every case and even Firewire still works. See also my post above.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2