1 (edited by MarcAntony 2023-02-06 16:44:14)

Topic: iPad Not Receiving Audio Signal

I have recently started using my Babyface Pro FS after owning it for nearly a year. I've used twice to make some voiceover recordings and it worked fine.

I now want to use it to stream audio to my iPad. I have done some research and found out that I needed to get the Apple Camera Kit adapter. As shown in the first image. According to TotalMix, it is receiving a signal which I can monitor through the headphone out.

As you can see in the third image. The Bossjock Jr. app is receiving a signal when the Babyface isn't connected. It picks up audio from the iPad mic in the room.

When I connect the Babyface as shown in the fourth and fifth images it asks "How am I listening?" no matter what I choose it does not receive a signal.

From my research I have seen others use the Apple Camera Kit and are able to attach mixers and other devices to their iPads. They also use this setup to stream audio to live streaming apps. The only difference is that none of the "How To" videos I watched feature an RME device. So I am guessing that there is something that I am not doing within the TotalMix application.

I received a reply about my post not mentioning whether or not my Babyface device is in Class Clompliant Mode. I didn't mention it because I assumed everyone here is an expert and already knows that an RME device has to be in Class Compliant mode for it to connect to the TotalMix app on an iPad.

If you're not well versed in RME's devices do not reply to this post please!

https://at.tumblr.com/mrmarcantony/7077 … 346nlz4r4p

Babyface Pro FS | Neumann TLM 107 | Neumann NDH 20 | Reason

Re: iPad Not Receiving Audio Signal

You don’t mention it so have you put the bfp in cc mode?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

You don’t mention it so have you put the bfp in cc mode?

I posted images for everyone to see. For me to be connected to TotalMix I have to be in Class Compliant Mode.

As far I can see it, it’s much more an issue with the Bossjock app than with the Babyface pro FS or the Totalmix app.
The interface obviously is in cc mode and Totalmix app recognises it as connected. So far all fine. You have to find out how Bossjock works with an USB interface.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by waedi 2023-01-27 00:57:40)

Those apps (Bossjock) usually receive signals only on input channels 1/2 fix, no other input selectable (Built-in mics are mostly on channel one).
The Totalmix photo from you shows input signals on channels 3/4.
You have to route those signals via a Loopback to the inputs 1/2.
Routing the inputs 3/4 to the hardware output AN1/2 and click Loopback (you have to open that output channel with the wrench tool button)

Or connect the music to the XLR inputs 1/2 at the front of the Babyface instead of the inputs 3/4 on the side.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Those apps (Bossjock) usually receive signals only on channels 1/2 fix, no other input selectable.
The Totalmix shows input signals on channels 3/4.
You have to route those signals via a Loopback to the inputs 1/2.
Routing the inputs 3/4 to the hardware output AN1/2 and click Loopback (you have to open that output channel with the wrench tool button)

Okay! Now we're getting somewhere. It worked! I connected my Mic to the AN1 XLR Input and immediately received a signal in the Bossjock Jr. App. I also made a short recording within the Bossjock Jr. App and was able to playback the recording. I was also able to stream my voice directly into a live video streaming app. As shown in the sixth image.

Next step. Is it possible to internally route the Instrument Inputs 3 and 4 to Inputs AN1 and AN2 within TotalMix? The end result should be able to be streamed into Bossjock Jr. If so can you explain how to go about doing this?

7 (edited by waedi 2023-01-27 02:34:57)

Yes, as explained in the previous post : You have to route those signals via a Loopback to the inputs 1/2.
You did a routing to the headphone, it's the same to do.
Click hardware output AN1/2, pull up the fader hardware input Instr.3/4
Click the Loopback button inside of Hardware output AN1/2
btw you will not see the Loopback-signal on the inputs AN1/2, thats normal, but the app or a DaW will receive the signal fully.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

8 (edited by MarcAntony 2023-01-28 21:29:24)

waedi wrote:

Yes, as explained in the previous post : You have to route those signals via a Loopback to the inputs 1/2.
You did a routing to the headphone, it's the same to do.
Click hardware output AN1/2, pull up the fader hardware input Instr.3/4
Click the Loopback button inside of Hardware output AN1/2
btw you will not see the Loopback-signal on the inputs AN1/2, thats normal, but the app or a DaW will receive the signal fully.

Excellent! Everything works as expected. Thanks!

In the line "Babyface Pro AS (1+2)". What does "AS" mean?

I have started to read through the TotalMix manual and I understand that it represents the first two ADAT channels but I am unable to find a meaning for the two letters. I presume it repesents "ADAT/SPDIF". I just want to be sure.

Also for PC Loopback I tried the same setup and was unsuccessful. You can see the configuration in the last two images of the blogpost. I was able to record audio to my PC from IN 3/4. I can playback PC audio through my Babyface headphones out, but I am unable to playback directly from the Babyface to my PC speakers. What am I missing?

MarcAntony wrote:

I can playback PC audio through my Babyface headphones out, but I am unable to playback directly from the Babyface to my PC speakers. What am I missing?

Where / how are the speakers connected to?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
MarcAntony wrote:

I can playback PC audio through my Babyface headphones out, but I am unable to playback directly from the Babyface to my PC speakers. What am I missing?

Where / how are the speakers connected to?

My speakers are connected to my motherboard's intergrated sound card.

So how could the BF signal then reach those speakers? It can't. AS is ADAT/SPDIF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by MarcAntony 2023-01-29 06:30:45)

MC wrote:

So how could the BF signal then reach those speakers? It can't. AS is ADAT/SPDIF.

You're correct, it can't. I realised that right after I made the post. I had already spent a few hours trying to get it to work. I found a workaround using a Virtual Audio Cable (VAC).