Topic: UCX II, Quad Mic 2 and logic latency

I want to add more analogue mic inputs to my UCX II setup. Four more are all I need, and of course more is always welcome, but not at all a requirement.

One possibility is something like an adat unit such as a Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre 8. Another, which is the way I'm leaning, is adding a used RME QuadMic II 4-Channel Microphone Preamp.

Is there anyone who uses this RME preamp with logic that can comment on the latency that occurs when using the back unit analogue inputs on the UCX II? How much more latency (if any) is there compared to the analogue inputs using the preamp of the unit itself on inputs 1 and 2? And if anyone is using the OctoPre 8 with the UCX II I wouldn't mind hearing from you too.

I would image that the adat pre would have to be faster, but will I notice the difference on vocals and acoustic guitar?

The other factor is I'm using  the DAW mode on Total Mix. Although I'm not opposed to going full on with Total Mix if that could help, I'm hoping the latency would be low enough to not need it.

My computer is a 2017 Imac with memory of 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, and a 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5.

Re: UCX II, Quad Mic 2 and logic latency

There's no latency on the all-analog Quadmic II. Latency comes from the driver, buffer, and the AD/DA chips.

The ADAT preamp could be faster or slower by some few samples, up to a ms or so, depending on the AD converter chip.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I do use this combo, and it is as Jeff said - no latency added by the QuadMic II. The UCX II does the AD conversion for both its own Mic inputs as well as for the Quadmic (via the line inputs); so they both should actually have pretty much the same latency from the conversion.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

If you want to compare converter latencies between UCX II vs. Quad Mic, see manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-31 00:08:01)

If you place a microphone a little closer or further away (or move a little yourself when playing or singing), the difference is probably even greater than between two converter chips…
The other thing is, for direct monitoring while recording I highly recommend to use TotalMix in standard mode. The way over USB to the Mac / Logic and back causes much more latency than going only thru the AD/DA conversion in the interface, even on a fast system.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2