Topic: Adat to AES on digiface USB

Hi.
I have this: https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html
I have just gotten a set of speakers that accepts AES input.
So I would like to convert one of the adat ports of my digiface, to AES in order for it to connect to my speakers.
Does the RME software and hardware support this?
If possible I would love to SMUX this specific channel to 2 96khz audio channels.
But the rest of the adat ports on my digiface, should be used in 48khz.

Im guessing this wont be possible, since you will have different samplerates per adat port (?)
Thanks

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-02 10:43:34)

Re: Adat to AES on digiface USB

Your guessing is correct.

Converters are these : ADI-8 QS, Digiface AES, ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2/4 Pro

What speakers are those ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ok. Then I would have to take a single port of the adat ports and convert that to AES and just run with 48khz. That will be fine.
That should work, right?
I mean, I actually have 8 mono channels in the audio stream. Will the toslink to spdif/aes disable the rest of the channels i don't need? (the 6 remaining channels).

The speakers are a pair of dynaudio air 15

Are you speaking of a Lindy Toslink SPDIF converter ?
Yes, it read-out the first two adat channels and give them to the SPDIF cinch connector
The rest 6 channels are not deleted, I think all 8 adat channels are just forwarded to the toslink output.

5 (edited by the19thbear 2023-02-02 11:39:10)

I have no specific converter in mind. But the Lindy would probably do the job. I'm guessing conversion like that will retain complete quality?
Then I would just do a RCA plug to xlr and plug that into my speaker.
THe only differnece betnween aes and spdif is that aes is balanced.
It normally works doing that.

This is cheaper. I don't need the repeater function of the lindy (I think?).
or will the repeater function help out when it is not a balanced signal?

https://www.avxperten.dk/da-converter/d … -nedis.asp

Yes it keeps the full quality of the audio signal.
Yes with an adapter cinch to XLR it should work.
Yes it is cheaper and the repeater function is not needed for the speaker connection.
No there is nothing to do with balanced or unbalanced signal with the repeater function.

Awesome. Great with good clear response:)

the19thbear wrote:

Ok. Then I would have to take a single port of the adat ports and convert that to AES and just run with 48khz. That will be fine.
That should work, right?
I mean, I actually have 8 mono channels in the audio stream. Will the toslink to spdif/aes disable the rest of the channels i don't need? (the 6 remaining channels).

You have to set the port to SPDIF mode. That means only 2 channels are transmitted, the other ADAT channels no longer exist. You can still see them in ToatlMix FX and use them for advanced applications like Loopback, but else they are gone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
the19thbear wrote:

That should work, right?

You have to set the port to SPDIF mode. That means only 2 channels are transmitted, the other ADAT channels no longer exist. You can still see them in ToatlMix FX and use thjem for advanced applications like Loopback, but else they are gone.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks