Topic: Interface?

I've been reading about the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R AD/DA Converter - Black Edition as I have been in need of a DAC as well as quality headphone amp, and I liked the fact that it could do both AD and DA.

But reading through the manual I see it described as a USB interface on some occasions. Would it be a comparable audio interface to the RME offerings directly advertised as in that category? Something usable with a DAW?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-01 17:22:32)

Re: Interface?

whiteletter wrote:

I see it described as a USB interface on some occasions. Would it be a comparable audio interface to the RME offerings directly advertised as in that category? Something usable with a DAW?

It is made for being used with a DAW too.
As you might have seen, it has all connection options: USB, AES digital, SPDIF Optical and Coax.

Other, more music production related RME interfaces support TotalMix FX, which you might need or not.

What is your usecase?

Using it to work with a DAW running a lot of VI's and for high quality external audio i/o.

whiteletter wrote:

Using it to work with a DAW running a lot of VI's and for high quality external audio i/o.

This means you‘re producing music.

ADI-2 Pro could be used for this, but maybe a dedicated recording interface like RME UCX II or UFX II is better suited or more future-proof.

You have to decide ADI-2‘s number of in- and outputs will be enough for your configuration.

5 (edited by whiteletter 2023-02-02 01:13:18)

Putting the actual amount of inputs and outputs out of consideration a moment, and focusing on the quality, would the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE be a step up in quality for taking analog audio into a DAW compared to something like an UCX II as well as sending it out?

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-02 12:22:49)

whiteletter wrote:

Putting the actual amount of inputs and outputs out of consideration a moment, and focusing on the quality, would the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE be a step up in quality for taking analog audio into a DAW compared to something like an UCX II as well as sending it out?

If you ask me: not audibly.

But this is a question you can only answer by yourself.
Get both units and compare.
Record the same analog source into your DAW, align and level match the tracks and listen.

A lot of people are profoundly convinced to hear night and day between various USB cables, a whole industry is living from selling such stuff at prices that can top those of ADI-2.

My precisely level matched blind A/B comparisons say different:

It‘s very hard to impossible to clearly determine e.g. between AKM and ESS DAC chips (ADI-2 Pro vs. ADI-2/4 Pro SE), IF THE SAME SHAPED DA-FILTERS ARE CHOOSEN, which is not trivial.

One thing to consider:
If the usability is bad, your sound will suffer, as you cannot concentrate on the music, but have to fight with technology.

I'll have to wait till next month's announcement before I make any decisions here I am thinking. I want to find out the specs of the latest and greatest. I want to know what kind of analog to digital conversion it has as well as da and headphone amp info.

It is more convenient to have more inputs than the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE offers me, though I think you can stack 3 of them, and I really am into high quality i/o.

RE: your comment. smile Basic shielded USB cables are fine.. but analog speaker cables and TRS.. that's different. Quite!