Topic: How to add more analog inputs to my Fireface UCX II

I'm a new owner of a Fireface UCX II and it is being used in my home audio setup for digital processing.  I'm not a pro user so I know very little about its operation.  It really is just a hardware interface for my software suite, which is what I am interacting with. 

I have additional analog sources that I would like to connect to m Fireface.  Currently I am using the 1/4" TRS balanced inputs but I don't have any left for the 3 additional sources I'd like to connect to the Fireface. 

Is there a quality (at least equal to the Fireface) hardware device that I can connect  to my Fireface to simply add more analog inputs?

Sorry for the rather rudimentary question but I didn't find much clarity on how two accomplish this by searching online.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-02-06 18:38:08)

Re: How to add more analog inputs to my Fireface UCX II

You forgot to tell what's your max. budget for that and whether you want a RME device for that.

You can add additional devices by using the ADAT port and connecting the devices by TOSLINK cables.

For A/D conversion you need only 1 cable, but to be able to clock sync the connected device it also needs ADAT inputs, so you need a 2nd TOSLINK cable, or you need to clock sync by using Word Clock.

AD/DA converter have usually between 8 - 32 ports in increments of 8.

So, you will need to get an 8 port AD/DA converter for this.
An alternative might be a Mic Preamp, where you can use the Mic inputs also as line inputs.

Easiest for handling might be a pure AD/DA converter.
The better ones support different reference levels, switchable per port.

What type of device do you want to connect? All balanced with TRS or XLR plugs and studio level (+4 dBu)?

If you want RME devices, I see the following options:

RME M-1610 Pro might be too expensive for you and makes no sense, as you have only one ADAT port on your UCX II.
This supports only 8ch at single speed. But the M-1610 Pro has 16 analog inputs (and 8 analog outputs).

The ADI-8 QS is an 8-port device, but also expensive with MADI, which you do not need. This design doesn't allow the configuration of different reference level per port, which might be a disadvantage for you.

An alternative might be an ADI-8 DS MK III from used market, this device: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/adi_8_ds_mk3.php. Also, here you can change the ref levels only for all the inputs and all the outputs, not per port if that should be needed.

So, if these devices are maybe too expensive (to get 4 analog inputs more), you need to look for 3rd party devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks ramses,
I'd like to keep it around $1000 to $1500 if possible.  I'm open to any manufacturer but if my budget doesn't allow for a device that won't degrade what my Fireface UCX II is accomplishing, then I'd wait until I can dedicate more cash to this particular device. 

The device would need to accommodate at least 24bit/96kHz.  The source outputs I need to connect to the Fireface are either RCA or XLR balanced. Right now, I am using TRS to XLR/RCA adapters to connect the two devices I am currently running.  I'd do the same for the 3 devices I am looking to connect.  Those devices are CD/SACD player, Reel-to-Reel player, and a headphone amplifier.  All very high-end source units so again, I don't want to degrade what my Fireface is able to accomplish.  If that means sticking with RME, then that's what I'll do.  I'm open to sourcing used to get a quality device at a savings. 

Thanks again for your help on this.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-02-06 18:53:35)

Don't expect RCA connectors on a RME AD/DA converter. ADI-2 DAC FS is an exception.
You need a converter cable for such an unbalanced connection.
So, you need to be able to connect balanced and unbalanced connections.

Regarding devices, it would need some time for research.
One ADAT port @96 kHz supports only 4 channels.
There are not RME AD/DA converters available with ADAT I/O and only 4 ports.

You could only connect an 8 port RME AD/DA converter, but then you can't use 50% of the ports.
And it requires a closer look whether consumer level is supported for the device with the RCA plugs.
All older RME designs/devices do not allow changing of reflevel per port.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

According to ADI-8 DS MK III manual: the setting +4.2 dBu equals -10 dBV with 12 to 15 dB headroom.
Street price was €1599. Maybe you can get it from used market.

ADI-8 QS might have the advantage to you to configure a digital input trim of +6 dB on a per port (also for outputs)
High price tag of €2499 (MADI, ...) though. Speed of converters won't matter I assume (the ones of the ADI-8 QS are faster).

Thanks again ramses! This is all very helpful.
As far as the RCA outputs on a couple of my source components, could I use a 1/4 TRS to RCA adapter with these RME devices?

I'll see what I can find on those models you mentioned. 

I assume I'd just connect one of the devices you listed to my UCX via the ADAT?

7 (edited by ramses 2023-02-06 20:34:07)

TS(!) to RCA, as this is an unbalanced connection (not TRS to RCA).

Otherwise, you have to take care of this, according to manual: "When using unbalanced cables with XLR or TRS connectors be sure to connect pin 3 (- or ring) to 1 (ground). Otherwise, noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of the balanced input."

If you want to avoid soldering, it's best to get cables with TS to RCA connectors directly.

Note: both RME products (ADI-8 DS MK III and ADI-8 QS) have servo balanced analog inputs.

From manual: the electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (XLR, stereo jacks) signals correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference.