Topic: Trinnov MADI to AES I/O

Hi, I have a Madiface and I like the use case for not throwing away all the preamps, converters and utility that comes with your typical interface when you need to upgrade. However, I think I may have backed myself into a corner. I think Madi is the greatest, but the reality is, you can’t always find what you want and expect it to have Madi.

I want to get Trinnov and run in and out of it digitally, and don’t want to spend more thousands $$ on a unit that has a bunch of extra stuff just for one set of AES channels. At least run digitally into it and use the Trinnov’s DAC to my speakers.

I’ve considered getting an RME aes PCIe card but don’t even know if you can use that and usb Madiface synergistically in Totalmix.

I’ve also considered the RME ADI-8 QS with the MADI card, if that will even work, but now I’m spending over $4k for this!? That’s getting close to the cost of the Trinnov itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-07 07:02:49)

Re: Trinnov MADI to AES I/O

Yes the PCIe EAS card is suitable to connect the Trinnov via AES.
Yes the ADI-8 QS is suitable to connect the Trinnov via Madi from the Madiface USB and then via AES, you need a breakout cable like this : https://www.thomann.de/de/avid_db25_xlr … _ebu_4.htm

The big benefit of Madi is the distance and numbers of channels 128 ! In your set 2 channels is used.
You can use 300 meters Madi optical cable from one house to another, a recording location with a concert to the studio for example.
At home for a Hifi set, 5m XLR cable works perfect, no need for Madi.

If you have a computer Windows or Mac with PcIe slots then the HDSPe AES is the nearest solution.

The card together with the Madiface USB "synergetically" in one Totalmix ? No that is not the case.
The Madiface USB will be redundant, try to make an exchange business.
Return the madiface to get the AES card.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks,

I should have specified my use case with a bit more information. I will be recording a mixing. I already have Burl converters that use Madi and do plan on expanding with outboard gear in the future. So it looks like ADI-8 QS is the only option.

There are other more affordable options to get 16 in and 16 out converters, through Madi, and I’m fine with the quality of cheaper units. But they don’t have AES, so I’ll be stuck paying a lot of money just for one AES loop.

waedi wrote:

Yes the PCIe EAS card is suitable to connect the Trinnov via AES.
Yes the ADI-8 QS is suitable to connect the Trinnov via Madi from the Madiface USB and then via AES, you need a breakout cable like this : https://www.thomann.de/de/avid_db25_xlr … _ebu_4.htm

The big benefit of Madi is the distance and numbers of channels 128 ! In your set 2 channels is used.
You can use 300 meters Madi optical cable from one house to another, a recording location with a concert to the studio for example.
At home for a Hifi set, 5m XLR cable works perfect, no need for Madi.

If you have a computer Windows or Mac with PcIe slots then the HDSPe AES is the nearest solution.

The card together with the Madiface USB "synergetically" in one Totalmix ? No that is not the case.
The Madiface USB will be redundant, try to make an exchange business.
Return the madiface to get the AES card.

yes, you are right.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Looks like I check with dealer to see if I can exchange the madiface for credit towards the Fireface UFX+. It's way overkill yet way cheaper to go this route. I don't quite get it, but unless anyone else has any reccomendations, This is THE option.

What I don't like is that in 10-20 years, when I need a different interface, will all of my I/O on this unit be rendered usless or will there be a way I can utilize all the mic inputs, line inputs, line outputs, digital I/O, headphones, etc with a different device as being the interface?