1 (edited by StefanSNO 2023-02-07 20:42:19)

Topic: +4dB or Low Gain on Fireface UFX-II for Jupiter-X synth

Dear,

My Jupiter-X is connected via balanced cables to my Fireface UFX-II (Analog 1+2).
Note: the Jupiter-X has one pair of balanced outputs as well.

Now my question is what settings do I have to choose on my RME interface?
+4dB or Low gain?

If I select +4dB, in some cases the output of the Jupiter-X clips the RME inputs. Note: even if the volume knob on the Jupiter is I @ 15:00 position (so not fully ON).

I have thought that +4dB is a pro input - the reason I have selected it, but maybe the Jupiter-X outputs are just too hot for this input?

Note: my Professional Denon CD player is also connected vie balanced cable to my RME. For this CD player the +4dB setting is just fine.

Could you please comment?

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-02-07 20:42:40)

Re: +4dB or Low Gain on Fireface UFX-II for Jupiter-X synth

Didn't find technical specs for your Roland Jupiter-X, but for some other similar Roland products.

According to their specs, it doesn't seem to be unusual that the nominal output is +4dBu, but that the output can reach +24 dBu output level.

Therefore, it is no wonder that your UFX II analog input clips at +4 dBu ref level even if the volume on your Jupiter-X is not at maximum.

It should be clear that you need to lower the sensitivity of your UFX II's inputs by choosing Lo Gain so that you get more headroom. See also manual ch 19.1.

As a side note … it's exactly the observation that you did already: "it doesn't clip when using "Lo Gain"". So, I am wondering a little why you ask when it works already perfect with "Lo Gain" (and there are no other ref level settings than these two).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by StefanSNO 2023-02-07 20:44:36)

Thanks! I will do what you say :-).

Unfortunately, strangely enough the Roland's manual does not specify what outputs deliver.
I have just thought as it has a balanced output, it is designed for +4dB - the reason I ask ;-).

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

StefanSNO wrote:

Thanks! I will do what you say :-).

Unfortunately, strangely enough the Roland's manual does not specify what outputs deliver.
I have just thought as it has a balanced output, it is designed for +4dB.

That was also my guess, but google for keywords like: Roland analog output dBu
Then you find similar products as I said that the output can reach up to +24 dBu.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2023-02-07 20:52:44)

I remember that my friend set the volume of his Yamaha stage piano always to around 75-80, but not 100%.

After configuring Lo Gain, you need to find the "sweet spot" for output volume on the Roland
- sound wise
- level wise to have enough headroom
Maybe input level at the UFX II not more than around -10 dBFS

In contrast to that, AUTOSET (for Mic and Inst inputs) allows signals up to -6 dBFS (4 dB more).

I leave it up to you what works better for you … depends on how sure you are that you tested with the highest signal levels that could occur or whether you need a little more reserve.

6 (edited by StefanSNO 2023-02-07 21:01:24)

Oooo, I see. -10 dBFS. I was definitely much higher in +4dBu even the output knob of my synth was @ 80% max.
BTW, @ "Low gain" the sound is "NICER", too for whatever reason.

It looks that most modern synths clip because of excessive effect usage or EQ and that is the situation with several patches in my synth. So, surely "Low Gain" is the right way to go.

BR Stef

Typo, changed dBu to dBFS in this context :-)

Me too ;-).

BR Stef