Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2/4 Pro SE, FPGA 70 DSP29
This is the first firmware update for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE. So far the unit shipped with firmware FPGA 67 and DSP 26. The DSP firmware has been updated to FPGA 70 and DSP 29 to address several issues.
This firmware update includes a critical bug fix and is therefore mandatory!
After the update it is required to reset the unit: in power-off state press and hold upper encoder 1 (B) and the VOL key (not VOLUME) while turning the unit on. The display will show ‘Reset Done’. Now you are ready to go.
Here is the list of fixes and changes with some explanations.
- Bug fix, critical: Using Pentaconn the unit can start to operate unpredictable and weird (changing cursor position, relays clicking). DSP 29 firmware removes a protocol violation, fixing this issue.
- Bug fix: The DA filter selection of Line Out 1/2 was saved but never loaded. Only NOS worked, else the unit used a chip default filter until the user changed the setting manually.
- Improved Expert Settings: Acceleration on setting high THD compensation values is now working also in the negative value area
- Current channel/cursor state is now stored and loaded
This is basic functionality with the 2 Pro, but was not yet activated for the new 2/4. The unit will now remember the Volume cursor on 1/2 and 3/4 positions, including Dual Volume, when switched off and on again. There is one small addition, because the 2/4 can use the rear TRS as outputs for 3/4. If that option is active, the cursor is on 3/4, no phones is plugged in, and the unit is switched off/on, the Volume cursor will stay on 3/4. In case phones are unplugged the cursor will jump to 1/2, no matter how this option was set.
- When plugging Pentaconn cursor moves from 1/2 to 3/4 (correct). When then additionally plugging Ph3/4 cursor jumped to 1/2 (unintuitive).
- Dark Volume screen: When starting DSD playback, Phones 3/4 B/T line was not replaced by DSDxxx.
- Remote 1: After reset (factory default or shipping state) the option Remap Keys was set to Off. As a result the keys 1 to 7 on the remote did not work. Doing a reset with DSP v29 the option will be correctly set to Remote, so all keys of the remote work.
- Remote 2: The Mute key on the remote did not mute the current (cursor selected) output, but always 3/4. All other keys followed the selected channels correctly.
- Default of filters for AD/DA has historically been SD Sharp – we are famous for our low latency hardware and drivers, and SD (Short Delay) ensures the conversion is as quick as possible. But latency is not the main point with the ADI-2/4 Pro – sound quality is. While Sharp has a bit higher latency than SD Sharp, it offers much reduced ripple, more linear frequency response, and even avoids phase deviation (phase linear filter). So from an accuracy and best sound point of view Sharp is the better choice. That’s why Sharp is now default from the factory and after performing a reset.
- Due to the option to have the rear outputs becoming TRS 3/4, we changed the naming in the Phones menu, SETUP – Phones, from Mute v. TRS 3/4 to Mute v. Ph 3/4. And accordingly Mute v. Ph 1/2. This should help to avoid confusion.
The firmware update tools:
The updated manual version 1.2