Topic: Latest Firewire Driver for Fireface 800

I've been using driver 3.41 with the kernel driver and dealing with the permissions issues when updating the OS, from 10 to 11 and now to 12. I thought the USB driver kit would work for the card but I've found while it fixed my issue where the driver would not load after an update (not sure why that is the case), the Fireface USB Settings would not open, I suspect it's not mean to work for the Fireface 800. Is there any public beta for the fireface 800? Also worth noting and this may also be contributing to the problem, I have the fireface 800 using the fireface 400 cable into a fireface to thunderbolt connector and then a thunderbolt to usb-c connector. This has been working and still does work on the 3.41 driver but I can't seem to get digicheck NG to work in mac osx12, and thought a driver update may resolve it.

Re: Latest Firewire Driver for Fireface 800

The USB driver will not work for the Fireface.
Since Apple is likely to drop support for Firewire soon, there are no plans for a DriverKit version here, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the update. That is unfortunate. This card has been rock solid for so long. I recently had replaced the power supply but aside from that I have had no issues. I, unfortunately, can't afford a replacement, so will be stuck with finding a cheaper card to replace it sad

Another question regarding this. Since using the cable adapters mentioned, does the OS treat the Fireface 800 as a USB-C device? And if so would it not then be possible to extend support via a DriverKit version? Has this been tested?

It does NOT become a USB-C device. The cable uses Thunderbolt aka PCIe, not USB, converted to FireWire.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. What are my options for using this interface in the future? Would I be able to connect it to a Fireface 802 via the Firewire 800 port and then use the USB port from the 802 into a mac? Would I be able to use both interfaces in that way?

No, that doesn't work.

The unit can still be used as a stand alone AD/DA converter when FireWire is no longer available. You would have to configure the unit for that routing (analog <> ADAT) with the FireWire connection, and store the setup in the internal memory.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ok thanks Jeff. Good to know. I've seen some of these for sale on ebay. Maybe I can offload it and buy something different. This card has been rock solid, and I've really appreciated that the drivers for it have been maintained for as long as they have. I even replaced the PDU not that long ago after ~15 years of use! It's a testament to RME's engineers. Now to "slum" it with another manufacturer for the time being. All of RME's current offerings are 3x greater than my budget, unfortunately.

RME Support wrote:

The USB driver will not work for the Fireface.
Since Apple is likely to drop support for Firewire soon, there are no plans for a DriverKit version here, sorry.

I've been digging around in apple's developer documentation. I can see firewire appears in the AudioDriverKit SDK:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati … _firewire/

I can't find any details stating Apple plan to remove support altogether. Was this communicated out to hardware vendors as such?

That entry is a leftover, just a flag. There is no support for FireWire at all. Show me the DriverKit for FireWire (as it exists for PCIe, TB and USB) and we're talking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok yeah I was wondering if that were the case since that was the only place I could find Firewire in the **Kit SDKs. So long as kext are able to be used, the card should still work right?

Right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

Another question, i had according to a friends FF800 (Kernel Driver v3.39.1, Firmware v2.77):
You can set the 48v or Phantom Power to Mic 7, 8, 9 ,10 in the FF Settings App - Clear

In the german manual on Page 57 there is an image, which shows the 48v option in TMFX.

https://ibb.co/MpDR5fR

But the 4 Inputs 7,8,9,10 allways appear as AN 7,8,9,10 in TMFX (the 1.80b5). Without the 48v Option. Same in the delivered TMFX Version with the latest driver Packege.

Is it intended, maybe just a wrong image in the manual? Or did we misconfigure something?

Our intention behind this question: If Phantom would be controllable via TMFX - then it would also be controllable remotly (via OSC f. Ex)

Just would be thankful for a clarification - clear -FF800 is legacy.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

There is a reason the text does not mention 48 V - it does not exist (pic from a different device). With the FF800 it is controlled via the Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes - we thought the same.. In Text is no mention about this. Just wanted to be clear. Thanks.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard