1 (edited by chris.marriott 2023-02-02 18:28:53)

Topic: Noise Cancelling settings within TotalMix

Hey everyone. Very new to RME's kit. Also I'm mostly video and animation based so that's why I'm asking for a little help.

I have a Rode NTG-2 Microphone, but the background fan noise from my workstation is quite loud. I was wondering if there is a simple way to create a filter/effect/EQ or something to automatically cancel this hummmm sound out?

I've got multiple Snapshots setup for different patterns of kit i use so it would be cool if i can apply something to the Mic feed.

Looks like on the Mic Analog input there is a Dynamics, EQ and Settings section. I have a feeling like something could be created here to filter the noise.

Very much look forward to any thoughts smile

I've just created a sample recording in Audition, and normalised it a little for what to base it on. If there is a way to include this i could if it helps.

Thanks so much
Chris

2 (edited by ramses 2023-02-02 18:42:05)

Re: Noise Cancelling settings within TotalMix

I would solve the problem at its root. Aren't there any ways to get the workstation quieter?

There are quiet CPU and case fans on the market, and computer cases can also be insulated or purchased with insulation (see e.g., Fractal Design cases). My optimized Xeon/Supermicro-based system is mostly inaudible.
Same for power supplies (hybrid mode) or GPUs (zero fan mode).

To give you some ideas: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/

Other thoughts. With an EQ, there might be the problem of cutting out parts of the useful signal as well.

In contrast to the built-in EQ of the RME FX section, the Fab filter EQ (VST) can be set to a very high Q value to narrow the frequency band much. So, I specifically filter out any hum from my Marshall amp (in high gain mode with a pedal).
You can google the typical hum frequencies on the Internet, or I'll look up later for you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If the fan noise is more or less constant, and you want to eliminate it from the recording, you could put something like Klevgränd Brusfri on the input in your DAW. I do that when recording speech at my laptop, and it works well. (The eq on the channel only affects the input into the TMFX, not into your daw.)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

A fan makes broadband noise. You can't eliminate that with an EQ without severly affecting the mic sound.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If you use Final Cut X you could use the function to eliminate noise on speech recordings.
It is not working in realtime. Needs time to process the whole file.
But it is working extremely well.
I recorded speech in a room, and in the next room a top 40 band was rehearsing.
I thought we would have to do it all again on an other day.
You may have used the takes as sing along EW&F, but after processing, "Do you remember, 21. night of September..." was totally cancelled out.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

You’re creating unnecessary work for yourself. You should invest in a quieter environment for your audio recordings.

Babyface Pro FS | Neumann TLM 107 | Neumann NDH 20 | Reason

This isn't a good solution for music, but if you're just recording speech, you may be able to use the "expander" section of dynamics as a noise gate, to attenuate all sound below a threshold. That won't remove the noise (which will still be present under the spoken portions of the track) but will make it much less noticeable in between phrases.

Hi

I use a fanless PC. Cooling is with heatpipes. Harddisk is SSD. So absolutely quiet.
For recording I would eliminate all fans and spinning HD.