Topic: RME Multiface 1 Cardbus on modern Laptop

Hi,

I use one of my old Multiface1 with a Cardbus to Expresscard Adapter on a Dell Quad j5.
Now i would like to exchange my old Dell Laptop with a modern actual Laptop maybe with a Ryzen 5500 or so.
But it looks like there are no longer Expresscard-Slots on this modern Laptops.
Is it possibel to use a Expresscard to USB3 Adapter?

Thanks
Best
Ron

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-04 13:31:14)

Re: RME Multiface 1 Cardbus on modern Laptop

Post a Link to that Adapter you want to use.

I had a quick look and am shocked of the amount of dropshipping garbage on the market.
Less than 15 Euro for Expresscard to USB 3 adapter.
At a closer look these things are not for connecting old express cards to USB-3 ports on new Notebooks.
They have the shape and size of the old express cards or PCMCIA cards and are for old computers to give you an USB-3 port out of the card slot.
That's the wrong thing.
You want to have an external box to insert the express-card and connect that box to an USB slot on a new computer, right ?
I think this does not exist.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-04 14:33:43)

Hi Waedi,

Thx for fast reply!

You want to have an external box to insert the express-card and connect that box to an USB slot on a new computer, right ?
>> Yes.

Dont know if you have time and intersting to answer my following Questions too..

Question:

1. So you would say there are no Solution to use a Cardbus and/or Expresscard on USB, or any other Solution?
2. Would the Latency/CPU Perfomance noticable drop when i would change to a Digiface USB on a modern Laptop?
3. Is it possible at all to reach a similar Performance with a Laptop like i have with my Multiface1 with a PCI-Card on my Desktop?

Info:
I would like to use a extern CPU for my "Monitoring FXs". At the moment i use my old Dell j5 2520 2.5GHz with the Multiface1 with Cardbus on a Expresscard Adapter. But i have to set the Buffersize to 256 S/B. Thats to mutch Latency.
At this time, on my Desktop (Main) i use beside my UFx1 my second Multiface with PCI. But if i have a excessive Projekt open and i would like to record something, i get drops and crackles, of course.
So i try to outsource my "Monitorin FXs" to a extern CPU, however.

Thx
Best
Ron

1. If it would exist it would have shown up on my search. I think the demand is too small for a development and production.
And not easy, That box needs a USB driver and the express card needs to be covered from this. And on top of that the Digiface driver has to work thru.
2. The latency will not drop because you get the modern driver with a modern device. The Digiface USB is rock solid and worth every cent.
I had the Digiface box back in the time and now I have a Digiface USB, I use Mac only so I can't tell about latency on Windows.
3. Yes, a modern computer can handle the amount of input and output channels without problems, the amount of software plugins and samples you want to load is more the culprit for a laptop.
I would definitely look for a Digiface USB and if possible borrow one for a test, try before buy or send back if fail.

Hi Waedi,

Its very gentle from you to answer my Questions! THX

I would like to use something like 1 Altiverb, Waves IR, some Delays and Mods.
And it should work on 32 S/B. The same i do now on my Dell and the Cardbus to Expresscard Adapter, but on 256 B/S.
On my Desktop where i use a Multiface PCI it works fine on 32S/B.

I dont know how mutch the Adapter leads to a drop of the possibel Performance in conjunction with the Cardbus directly connectet, or even whats the Performance Difference of PCI and Cardbus are.

Questions:

What you think, its utopian to Drive this few Plugins on 32S/B with the Digiface?

<< ..That box needs a USB driver and the express card needs to be covered from this. And on top of that the Digiface driver has to work thru.
>> Digiface Driver? You meen the Multiface Driver, or? (only that i am sure i understand it right)

so many thx!
Best
Ron

1. Not utopia, it should work.
2. Yes I meant the Multiface.

Cheers

Hi Waedi,

thx a lot one more Time!

Last Question. (Cause i wanna save Money)

I found that:
https://www.delock.de/produkt/61714/merkmale.html

Would this softwaretechnicaly work?

On the end i will test it all, like you recommended. wink

thx
Best
Ron

No USB to any cardbus or pci etc will work. Only TB to PCIe and then to cardbus, but finding a working combo might be difficult. And, that will hardly be cheaper then a RME usb audio device.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Also making sure you don't use to heavy plugins on the monitoring might make it possible to use a lower buffer. Waves ir does not like low latency. 32 samples might be to low for this on any pc.

Vincent, Amsterdam

10 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-04 22:28:07)

Hi Vinark,

Thanks a lot!

Questions:

<< ..32 samples might be to low for this on any pc.
>>  Do you meen on a Laptop?
>>  Do yoe meen Cardbus or USB or both dosnt work on a Laptop?

I use my via PCI connected (second) Multiface1 on my Desktop with Waves IR or Altiverb with 32 S/B without crackling. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP) from VSL as Host. But when i have loaded a Cubase Project with some CPU Usage i would have to raise the B/S. That i try to change.

<< ..Only TB to PCIe and then to cardbus
>>  Cause only Cradbus <> PCIe is compatibel? TB Cardbus dosnt work?

To your Info:
Waves IR1 has a Low CPU Mode you can activate. But on the Desktop it works even with no Low Latency Mode.

Thanks a lot!
Best
Ron

I got one of these on eBay.
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo … rbolt.html
https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/ec … sscard-pro

Thanks djspearritt,

but i work with Windows. I think that would not be the right thing for that, cause i would be restricted to choose a Windows LT with Thunderbolt.
Or do i understand something wrong?

Maybe Vinark has mor infos..

lot of thanks

Also making sure you don't use to heavy plugins on the monitoring might make it possible to use a lower buffer. Waves ir does not like low latency. 32 samples might be to low for this on any pc.

Vincent, Amsterdam

The Sonnet adapter basically works, I use my Multiface that way (Edit: with Epresscard) on a newer Dell. Must be connected before booting otherwise it hard BSODs.

USB3 to PCI (aka CardBus) or to Expresscard (PCIe) is technically not possible, therefore doesn't exist. All existing adapters are IDE (aka PCMCIA).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-05 14:49:03)

Hi MC,

Thaks a lot.

Question:

<<  The Sonnet adapter basically works, I use my Multiface that way on a newer Dell. Must be connected before booting otherwise it hard BSODs.
>> Do you speek from this one:

Your Dell (with Windows?) has a TB?

You use a RME Multiface1 Cardbus via this Sonnettech and a Cardbus<>Expresscard on a TB Connection?

To Vinark,

<< ..Also making sure you don't use to heavy plugins on the monitoring might make it possible to use a lower buffer.
>>   Thats the only thing this Laptop will have to do, preparing me with Monitoring FXs.

Thanks.
Best
Ron

The way I have set it up, but this only works for (vocal) reverbs and delays, is that I monitor direct from my main RME (or direct from your MF, not going in and out software, just through totalmix) and send to a second box ( or on the laptop) witch produces the reverb and delays. They do have some latency, but that is no issue with the reverbs and delays as long as I use the vocal direc, even 256 or even 512 workst. Hope you understand what I mean.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi Vinark,

They same to me, but i use the Multiface on a seperate Laptop. On the same PC you do not have the full Performance, if you do not only this Task.

But can some tell me what i need to use my Multiface1 Cardbus on a modern Laptop??

Adapter TB, USB2, 3??

Thanks a lot

19 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-05 18:34:24)

createartrecords wrote:

Hi Vinark,

Thanks a lot!

Questions:

<< ..32 samples might be to low for this on any pc.
>>  Do you meen on a Laptop?
>>  Do yoe meen Cardbus or USB or both dosnt work on a Laptop?

I use my via PCI connected (second) Multiface1 on my Desktop with Waves IR or Altiverb with 32 S/B without crackling. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP) from VSL as Host. But when i have loaded a Cubase Project with some CPU Usage i would have to raise the B/S. That i try to change.

<< ..Only TB to PCIe and then to cardbus
>>  Cause only Cradbus <> PCIe is compatibel? TB Cardbus dosnt work?

To your Info:
Waves IR1 has a Low CPU Mode you can activate. But on the Desktop it works even with no Low Latency Mode.

Thanks a lot!
Best
Ron

Could Vinark pls answer my Questions? smile

createartrecords wrote:

Hi MC,

Thaks a lot.

Question:

<<  The Sonnet adapter basically works, I use my Multiface that way on a newer Dell. Must be connected before booting otherwise it hard BSODs.
>> Do you speek from this one:

Your Dell (with Windows?) has a TB?

You use a RME Multiface1 Cardbus via this Sonnettech and a Cardbus<>Expresscard on a TB Connection?

Could MC pls answer this Question?:)

Could MC wake up and have a coffee first?

Yes to 1 and 2.

3 makes no sense. 'RME Multiface1 Cardbus via this Sonnettech' (Echo Pro) and a Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter, as the Dell has TB3 (via USB-C). Edit: not CardBus, but ExpressCard.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Could MC wake up and have a coffee first?

Yes to 1 and 2.

3 makes no sense. 'RME Multiface1 Cardbus via this Sonnettech' (Echo Pro) and a Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter, as the Dell has TB3 (via USB-C).

Uuuhhaaahhhhh..hmmm.

ah, Good Morning;)

No, without Jokes. So sorry about that it looked like this. That wasnt intended like that!!
I wasnt unsure it was/would be going under. I hope you had your Coffee first!

Question:

The Multiface1 has a Cardbus, right? And the Echo Pro is for Expresscards,right?
>> How i connect them?

I got already this one: (didnt found this Artikel anymore) Its a

"Expresscard to Cardbus" Adapter from Sonntech.

I should take this, you mean?

What i found is this:
https://www.startech.com/de-ch/karten-adapter/ecu2usb

But you sayd that dosnt work?

I will be patient..

Thanks a lot!

Heaven help - really CardBus? Sorry, I was talking ExpressCard.

CardBus as we use it (PCI) is - as far as I remember - not working anymore on Windows 10 systems. The necessary driver seems to be missing. My laptops with CardBus are on Windows XP or earlier...and not used anymore...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-06 14:14:03)

no worrys..

Which RME Interface you thinked of??
Which RME has Expresscard??

25 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-06 14:39:11)

So many thx to you my Friend!

But one more time, that wouldnt work?:

"Cardbus<>Expresscard" (that works already on my Dell) then "Expersscard <> Thunderboldx"?

or even:
"Cardbus<>Expresscard" (that works already on my Dell) then "Expresscard <> USBx"? (da wäre dann der USB ein Flaschenhals?)

createartrecords wrote:

no worrys..

Which RME Interface you thinked of??
Which RME has Expresscard??

Multiface. The ExpressCard was working with Multiface 1/2, Digiface and RPM.

createartrecords wrote:

But one more time, that wouldnt work?:

Whatever adapters you use the final format needs to be supported - here CardBus.

createartrecords wrote:

"Cardbus<>Expresscard" (that works already on my Dell) then "Expersscard <> Thunderboldx"?

Nobody can know if that will work. I say it calls for trouble. Lots of.

createartrecords wrote:

or even:
"Cardbus<>Expresscard" (that works already on my Dell) then "Expresscard <> USBx"? (da wäre dann der USB ein Flaschenhals?)

USB to ExpressCard does not exist. Only the other way round.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...fyi: i was told that this https://www.gkmusik.de/p/pcie-express-a … e-madiface also works!...

Yes they do (got one myself), but you will not be able to buy it. These adapters vanished from the market about 2 years ago.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

29 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-07 12:51:54)

To close this Disussion, one more last Question:

(maybe the following is obsolet cause you spoke not for the old Hdsp Multiface1)

Question:

There was also a Expresscard Adapter Connect-Version of the Multiface?

So there where a
-Cardbus
-Expresscard
-and PCI Version, right?

If thats right i could have easely a Expresscard Connect-Version and use the:
PCIe auf ExpressCard Adapter - RME HDSPe (Mutliface, Madiface, Digiface)?

So, i could use for my Multiface1 a Expression Connect-Version on my PCIe Slot?

(Thats the Reasen why you didnt realised that i  speak from a Cardbus versus Expression-Card. I didnt knowed that there a ExprCard Version exists for Multiface1.)

thanks a lot

On the RME Website, unfortunality there are 2 Entries about Multiface II but no one with Multiface(1).
Otherwise i would ahd realised that all earlyer. Sorry.

So i concluse that i restricted to my Cardbus or PCI-Card for my Multiface(1). And that would need 2 Adapters i Series and thats very critical, right?

or no..?ioi

The Multiface I and II can be used with CardBus, PCI card, ExpressCard or PCIe card. Doesn't matter. But you will have issues to find an ExpressCard in the used market...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@createartrecords: you can contact me if you need an expresscard…i switched to the pci express version (inside a sonnet se1) and still have one or two expresscards…versand wäre aus köln…✌️

MC wrote:

The Multiface I and II can be used with CardBus, PCI card, ExpressCard or PCIe card. Doesn't matter. But you will have issues to find an ExpressCard in the used market...

sorry that rest in the Comunication, i needed first a Coffe;) no sorry was bisy..:) thx.

As usual i got one Question:

And the Performance of the different Cards are the same?

Scheffkoch wrote:

@createartrecords: you can contact me if you need an expresscard…i switched to the pci express version (inside a sonnet se1) and still have one or two expresscards…versand wäre aus köln…✌️

Lot of thanks to you my Friend. Actualy i am planning to configure a whole new Setup. I will come back to you as soon if i need to. Thx!

Ron

createartrecords wrote:

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

36 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-11 15:56:11)

MC wrote:
createartrecords wrote:

Yes.

Sorry that i ask one more Time my stupid Questions. Do not feel obligated to Answer:

On the RME Website i saw that the PCI only has 1.3G/s. Right?

Expresscards surprisingly has 5Gb/s. Right?

Do i something missunderstand?

I use since beginning "only" PCI-Cards. Would my Performance be better with a Expresscard?
Or i could even use from now on PCIe Cards for my Multiface with a Result in better Performance Usabilty?

Thx for all!

What i found is this:
https://www.startech.com/de-ch/karten-adapter/ecu2usb

Do that work on W10 with Multiface1?

Thx

How often do I have to repeat that such an adapter will not work...it adresses only the rarely used USB sub-part of an ExpressCard, not the PCIe part that we use for audio. And they clearly say exactly that, USB only...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The bandwidth of PCI vs. PCIe has nothing to do with "performance" at all. The MF doesn't even require anywhere near the full PCI bandwidth.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

How often do I have to repeat that such an adapter will not work...it adresses only the rarely used USB sub-part of an ExpressCard, not the PCIe part that we use for audio. And they clearly say exactly that, USB only...

Thx.

On your Website is written:

"
Unterschiede zur HDSP PCI Card

PCI Express Interface
    nochmals verbesserte Latenzen
    direkte Unterstützung HDSP TCO
"

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/techinfo_co … i_info.php

sorry.:)

RME Support wrote:

The bandwidth of PCI vs. PCIe has nothing to do with "performance" at all. The MF doesn't even require anywhere near the full PCI bandwidth.

That! helps me.

But they have more Bandwith the a ordinary USB2 Slot, ok.

Lot of thx to you my Friend

42 (edited by createartrecords 2023-02-14 01:32:39)

Finaly to close this Treath from my Side, i wann say some closing Words.
First, i decided to invest in a brand new modern System. Cause only to invest in a middle Priced Laptop and additionaly some PCI whatever Cards and Adapters make no sense to me any more. In this new Way i invest in the Future.

How i do it:

(1x UFx, 1x Multiface1 PCI, 1x Multiface Cardbus (this was for my old Laptop)

I will use my first Multiface as it is on my (now old) PC via a PCI. No Change.
On the new PC i will only use my UFx. For the Routing no Changes. No, nothing.
The second Multiface which i used on my cheep Laptop i will use in "Standalone" Mode "Disconnected. This Multiface provides me with 4 independent Headphone Mixes and Direct Feeds from the Board Pre`s, where i do not have changes a lot to the Routing. Only for Routing Updates i will use my old good Cardbus with Expresscard Adapter, for configurations temprarly still my cheep Laptop. That works fine.
I will now use my replaced (now old) PC only for FXs and Instruments for (Analog)-Monitoring  (in Viennas VEP Pro) which i can play now totaly independent from my DAW (on the new PC System), with 32 Samples/Buffer via Adat to my UFx (DAW).
This Signals i can send losless with (no?) Latency added via Adat to my UFx where i Monitor tha DAW on my new PC and the other Multifaces. HP-Mixes, Feeds, Live Instruments (VSTs).
All the Analog Stuff is mainly on the UFx (PREs, Comps, EQs.

The Analog Board (ok is only a ZECK MS842plus ioi) is only for Monitoring Analog. (I hate Latency behaved Monitor Mixes, for me, and the Client. its only fair)

[Edit:
For Midi Recordings which i play Live on the (now old) PC i will need a Midi-Splitter..]

[Edit:
And espacially i have no electrical Connections between the second Multiface on a different (now old) PC, which maybe could cause some Grounding Problems like PC-Noise.]

So i need no more PCI what ever Card for my second Multiface.
I feel like i would catch (if that all works) 3 Flys at Ones. ioi

So i save a lot of Money and Problems. But i have to invest one more Time. Anyway i waited so long, i have to do it now. And i think the Prices for some Processors are actualy quite good. Whe dont know how long.

You all my Friends helped me on this Way of Enlightment. ioi

Best
Ron