Topic: AKM when?

The AKM factory has resumed operation after the 2020 fire.  AKM DACs are once again available on the open market and several new models such as the AKM4499EX have been released.

Is there a plan for RME's ADI-2 DAC to resume using an AKM DAC?

Re: AKM when?

No such plan, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, what I dream of: a new version of the already  famous ADI Dac, but now with AK4499EXEQ. Seems to deliver a new experience of Being There when listening to music,
MG

toneboard wrote:

The AKM factory has resumed operation after the 2020 fire.  AKM DACs are once again available on the open market and several new models such as the AKM4499EX have been released.

I would be careful about the new AKM chip. There is some chat circulating that claims the 4499EX is not on par with the older 44xx chips. While some have praised the 4499EX, some with experience listening to older AKM chips feel that the golden age of the AKM "Velvet Sound" has come to an end. Who knows....

jltbalt1 wrote:
toneboard wrote:

I would be careful about the new AKM chip. There is some chat circulating that claims the 4499EX is not on par with the older 44xx chips. While some have praised the 4499EX, some with experience listening to older AKM chips feel that the golden age of the AKM "Velvet Sound" has come to an end. Who knows....

I would be careful with such statements without knowing where it is coming from wink

Do you know the source of this information? Is somewhere documented, how testing has been performed and using what devices? Tbh, I have some doubts that this is valid information, sounds more like a rumor which is spreading around.

Even if there was a sound degradation, it could also be caused by bad design regarding PCB and analog stage design or that people didn't use proper testing methods.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-13 08:36:39)

When I did my elaborate A/B comparison AKM vs. ESS chips (ADI-2 Pro vs ADI-2/4) I first found exactly that:

AKM sounded somewhat smoother (you can call it velvet if you like).
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p195160

Checking closer and doing a little measurement I found that my selected DA filters, also carrying the same name, are different shaped in both both chips.
The AKM’s have a softer transition into the stop-band on most, but not all filters.
This, by the way, is even visible in the diagrams in each unit’s user’s manual.

When I choose similar shaped filters the difference completely disappeared.

If you compare you always have to be very careful to compare apples to apples, and exclude expectation bias.

The Internet is really lousy in this regard, almost nobody cares.
Myths built up faster than you can say: “booh”.

Nevertheless, the old AKM’s have a very slight edge in the features:
Bronx on - they have f****g DSD-direct to handle the f****g DSD format - Bronx off – smile
but RME did a good job working around that with ESS.

Anyway, I like my ESS ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

7 (edited by jltbalt1 2023-02-12 22:20:37)

ramses wrote:

I would be careful with such statements without knowing where it is coming from wink

Do you know the source of this information? Is somewhere documented, how testing has been performed and using what devices? Tbh, I have some doubts that this is valid information, sounds more like a rumor which is spreading around.

Yes. There has been much discussion about this including tests and measurements references over on the DAC Facebook page. Of course it's far from definitive but there are definitely some questioning whether or not AKM is really back or not. I also find it interesting that RME seems to express no interest in returning to AKM at this point. Again, who knows...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/328518039319750

jltbalt1 wrote:

I also find it interesting that RME seems to express no interest in returning to AKM at this point. Again, who knows...

That statement is incomplete, missing the specific ADI-2 DAC. We 'returned' to AKM in several units already, partly updated to better (other) AKM chips than before. There is just no need to change the DAC again and thus cause more confusion for distributors, dealers and customers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I understand the statement of RME (MC) completely.
No redevelopment with another chip to just have the same product. Cost of development and maintenance, and problems in support (HW, FW, SW) with more versions. Its a headache.