Topic: Multiface 1 and PCI to PCMCIA adapter or Windows 10 20H2 issue

I have a working multiface 1 on a laptop running Widows 10 version: 2004 via a PCMIA card (flashed to Hardware Version 17) through a Cardbus to ExpressCard adapter and ASIO driver 4.3.0.0 working fine in Bitwig studio.

I am trying to use the same multiface and card through a PCI to PCMCIA adapter on a desktop machine running Windows 10 version 20H2. The card is recognised with driver 4.3.8.0 installed and TotalMix and DSP Hammerfall Settings present and working.

But when I select ASIO Hammerfall DSP in Bitwig (no option to set different input and output devices) I just hear distorted sound through the multiface outputs with midi and audio. When I attempt to record audio the metronome runs much slower than the selected BPM.

The Multiface outputs work fine for midi in and out with the WASAPI driver.

When I try and set ASIO Hammerfall DSP for input audio settings in the DAW Waveform I hear a quiet click and then the multiface is disconnected. if I just connect outputs the sound is distorted.

Is this a PCI to PCMCIA adapter issue or a Windows 10 20H2 issue?

Or something else please?

Re: Multiface 1 and PCI to PCMCIA adapter or Windows 10 20H2 issue

Works for me using PCI Express. Your PCI adapter might be wonky, or the used PCI slot...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the reply Matthias - I feel the PCI adapter and slot are working as they have recognised 2 other PCMCIA cards today although I cannot be totally sure as I could not find windows 10 drivers to run the vintage cards.

All other audio is disabled and RME DSP audio out works fine with a browser for example, just not when I use any form of recording software where on selecting inputs I just hear a click and then the card is deactivated or distorted audio on playback.

You mention it works for you with PCI Express so are you suggesting I should use a PCIe to PCMCIA adapter instead and run it through a PCIe slot and not the PCI slot?

If you still get such an adapter (I doubt so) then it's worth it. They are (were) cheap.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC Which card would you recommend for a current PC (having PCIe-slots only) in order to drive the Multiface 1 propperly?

I don't know what you want me to recommend...as there is nothing to buy...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am refering to the "PCI to PCMCIA" adapter which you considered to "work fine".
The point is I want to get the Multiface running at a PC which does not offer a PCMCIA slot. PCMCIA-card is available.
I did not use PCMCIA in recent years and have no idea wich adapters might work properly.

First let's get the wording correct: we are either talking about CardBus or ExpressCard. CardBus is dead. Exchange all the above with ExpressCard - that's what is usually meant with 'PCMCIA'. Such an adapter, PCIe to ExpressCard, was below 30 Euros and available until about 2 years ago.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Express-Expr … B071ZDS4CB

What still is available (and also works) are the Sonnet Echo TB to ExpressCard adapters, but that requires Thunderbolt on the PC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If you have one of those old PCI cards that host Cardbus cards, that card is likely the problem... You could try limiting the number of active ASIO channels if the software allows it.

If your setup works with the Cardbus/Expresscard adapter, you could try to find one of those PCIe cards that host Expresscards that MC mentioned and see if that works...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME