Topic: Octamic D (old model) won't Sync with External Clock

I'm writing this to address an issue with my Octamic D. I'm not able to connect Octamic's ADAT out to my Steinberg UR824.

My first trial was, making UR824 as master and Octamic as slave. I chose 'Internal' and '48khz' on UR824's setting. Connected wordclock OUT from UR824 to Octamic wordclock IN. Connected ADAT MAIN out from Octamic to UR824 ADAT IN. On Octamic, put the dip switchs 1 and 2 to DOWN position to make it EXT clock. Connected a mic to RME channel 1, signal led blinks indicating signal in the preamp, but no signal from RME optical out onto UR824 ADAT IN. Changed dip switch 3 to DOWN position. Still no signal on UR824.

Now, I tried to make RME as master and UR824 as slave. On RME, I changed the dip switch 2 to UP position (INT) and dip switch 2 to DOWN position (48k), changed clock settings on UR824 as ADAT and sample rate as 48k on UR824 setting page. Now, for a brief moment, UR824's sync indicator led's on the front displayed the sync lock, and then I got signal on ADAT 1. But after few seconds, the clock sync was lost and then started getting the glitch noise corresponding to wrong wordclock on all 8 ADAT channels.
I have tried with different optical cable and all possible options.

Can you help me in what might have been gone wrong? Will the ADC section might be faulty? Please help me out in this.

I bought this as a new unused device (old stock may be).

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-08 22:08:40)

Re: Octamic D (old model) won't Sync with External Clock

Did you forgot to disconnect the word clock cable ?
When Octamic is set to master no word clock cable need to be connected.
Dipswitch 3 down, all others up.
UR824 clock source external adat, 48 kHz

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi.
I didn't use a word clock connection in the above scenario. But yes, I tried with word clock connection from soundcard Word Clock out to RME Word clock in, and then making RME in EXT mode. But still the same.

You may check if the adat input of the UR824 is broken.
Use a single adat toslink cable from adat output to adat input and send some signal over it.

I have a Yamaha O1v, which I connect to my UR824 using ADAT, and it works fine. I used the same cable and connection to connect to RME Octamic D. So, then, may be RME's ADAT is broken?

The Yamaha is set to internal clock-source while the UR824 is set to clock external adat, right ?

When I connect O1V and UR824, I make UR824 as master and O1V as slave. So, O1V external and UR824 internal. And it works fine, no sync issues.

8 (edited by waedi 2023-02-14 12:13:30)

The situation with the Octamic D is the other way around.
May you can do a test ?
Switch the 01V to internal clock and the UR824 to external adat and see if the sync still works ?

and further do another test : connect the Octamic D to the 01V, the 01V has to be clock-source external adat.