1 (edited by the19thbear 2023-02-14 14:14:43)

Topic: Using ARC for totaltmix and as a generic midi controller?

Hi. Using reaper.

I have a monitoring fx running in reaper, to do corrective eq on my speakers.
I am using an instance of the plugin "Pro-q" to tune my speakers to the room/compensate for my room. This is done by ear and with no measuring microphone etc.
"Monitoring FX" is a function in reaper where you can insert a plugin that is in the master audio path, but will not be rendered along with the audio (pretty clever).
Monitoring FX is *not* the same as simply monitoring an effect on a track, with an acitve input.
I would like to disable that whenever I use my headphones.
I have the ARC/totalmix set up so i press "snap2" for headphones and "snap3" for speakers.
Any way I could get the output of the arc into reaper?
That way, when I press snap2, I could disable the monitoring effects (corrective eq).

I have enabled it in settings in totalmix, but I get an error message in reaper, saying it can't "get" the midi connection from the ARC. (The following midi outputs and inputs cannot be opened :  RME ARC USB). Probably because it is in use by totalmix?
Any way to duplicate the midi and send it out to a daw as well? Would be a great option to have smile
Thanks

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-14 11:20:18)

Re: Using ARC for totaltmix and as a generic midi controller?

Using the ARC as Midi controller is a workaround that probably doesn't work.
The more proper workaround is a Loopback in Totalmix.
Send the headphone signal straight out to the headphones and route the loudspeaker signal thru Reaper via Loopback.
Then toggle the two snapshots.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ah, genoius! smile

Meh, sorry I don't know how to do that. I am using USB digiface that has built in headphones out.
Using adat 1/2 for speakers out.
Sorry for my brain not working smile

5 (edited by waedi 2023-02-14 11:50:28)

Ah ok, are you playing the music out of Reaper ?
You don't have a routing from Totalmix into Reaper for processing the signal yet ?
Then you have to send 2 signals out of Reaper to different output channels for further routing in Totalmix.
One pure (dry) and one processed (wet).
Use the room correction software as a send effect on its own track, this is the wet signal.

I'm using reaper as my main daw. In reaper I can't control what tracks that the montoring fx are on (room correction). So this won't work. I guess the midi control thing is the only option.

Will ask the reaper forum

Please include more information.
Is this room correction a box with a microphone or is it a software in the computer ?
Is it a plugin in Reaper or is it a standalone software ?

you have started this with Reaper but now Reaper can't control the inputs of that room correction !?

Updated the initial post smile

You could use Bome Midi Translator to get Midi out of the ARC into Reaper. Then use the bypass monitoring FX # action in Reaper mapped to that Midi command to bypass your room correction.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

Best,
Frank

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

I already tried that but the arc is busy (controlling totalmix).
But I guess I could se totalmix up to use midi as well, and then set it to listen to midi from bome, and then do the same for reaper.

Yes, you will have to set up Bome Midi as Input (Control only) in Reaper. Can't see why you'd have to do that in TotalMix?

Should be quite simple. Let's use "Ext Inp" as example, which will turn the monitoring FX on and off:
- In TotalMix, send software playback to both your loudspeakers and headphones (no need for snapshots!)
- In Midi Translator, right-click and chose "Add Translator"
- Set Input to RME ARC, Output to Bome Virtual Port 1
- There, translate Incoming RAW MIDI ("Ext Inp"=F0 00 20 0D 70 50 00 10 00 F7) to Midi Note On (I used 62-D4 on Ch. 0)
- In Reaper, look for the Action "Monitoring FX: Toggle bypass" and Add Shortcut.
- Press Ext Inp and the Monitoring FX will toggle.

12 (edited by the19thbear 2023-02-15 07:46:49)

Thanks Frank. As i mentioned, I can't get acces to the arc midi stream. Bome won't let me do it. Reaper can't let me select the arc as midi in either. It is busy, because it is controlling totalmix

I get this in bome:
"MIDI INPUT 'RME ARC' cannot be opened (maybe in use by another program?). It is set to 'pending"

If I quit totalmix, I can get the midi inputs/outputs in Bome

Weird, doesn‘t happen here.
All the newest drivers/firmware installed?
I remember some time ago they changed something with SysEx that improved Midi functionality:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27836

frank.acklin wrote:

I remember some time ago they changed something with SysEx that improved Midi functionality:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27836

Hmm will have to check. I’m on windows

Just updated. Still same problem. Midi is in use.

I solved it by doing some stuff in Reaper. But would be nice to be able to do it with the arc as well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I am also wanting to use ARC USB to control Nuendo Control Room. Would this be possible?

Hi there. I have the same problem with Bome - the ARC port is in pending mode. How I can to "deblocked" it? I want to send MIDI in parallel to Total Mix and Cubase. Is it real?

@frank.acklin,

frank.acklin wrote:

I remember some time ago they changed something with SysEx that improved Midi functionality

What update are you talking about? For PC I did not find anything. Please tell me.