Topic: [Solved] Connect ADI-2 Pro to a 3rd party interface via AES - no sound

I connected my audio interface from AES Out to ADI AES In. The Main out of my interface is set to AES Out. But there‘s no sound. I tried different ADI modes without success.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-02-14 22:24:41)

Re: [Solved] Connect ADI-2 Pro to a 3rd party interface via AES - no sound

How is the ADI-2 Pro connected exactly? To USB of your PC as well?

USB connection has precedence, in this case you would need to enter the correct operation mode yourself,
see also operation modes in the manual, I am using AD/DA mode.

You can see in my blog what's required in terms of settings on the ADI-2 Pro:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

You might need to set AD/DA Source to "AES" if "Auto" does not work for you.
Front-Button I/O: see settings of "Main Output 1/2" and "Phones Out 3/4".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-15 09:04:46)

• Try a different AES cable.
Do you see anything in the AES line of the State Overview Screen (from the Main Screen, push Encoder 2 until State Overview comes up)?

• Set: DAC-mode.
• Disconnect all other sources from ADI-2 Pro.
• Set: I/O / Line Output 1/2 / AD/DA Source: AES.

• If this doesn’t help, start again with a device reset:
Press VOL button (NOT Volume Dial) and Encoder 1, while powering up, until you see the massage “Reset done”.

Once you got it running, work yourself up by re-connecting and changing parameters one by one.

ramses wrote:

USB connection has precedence, in this case you would need to enter the correct operation mode yourself,

• Settings of "Main Output 1/2": AD/DA Source is "Auto" ... I have no access to a different setting ...

• "Phones Out 3/4" is AES

KaiS wrote:

• Try a different AES cable.
Do you see anything in the AES line of the State Overview Screen (from the Main Screen, push Encoder 2 until State Overview comes up)?

It says: Sync ... 96 ... pro ... 16

KaiS wrote:

• Set: DAC-mode.
• Disconnect all other sources from ADI-2 Pro.
• Set: I/O / Line Output 1/2 / AD/DA Source: AES.

Ok, the problem is the USB connection to the PC, the manual says:
"The switching of the source of the Main Output 1/2 is blocked in USB mode, it is used for playback."

If I want the ADI connected to the PC, the solution would be to alter the "basic mode" in the setup menu and optionally save 2 setups to be able to switch between USB and a different mode.

KaiS wrote:

• If this doesn’t help, start again with a device reset:
Press VOL button (NOT Volume Dial) and Encoder 1, while powering up, until you see the massage “Reset done”.

Once you got it running, work yourself up by re-connecting and changing parameters one by one.

But currently there is also no playback in USB/Auto mode ... so maybe I should do a device reset ...

6 (edited by ramses 2023-02-15 12:29:30)

Saint65 wrote:
ramses wrote:

• Settings of "Main Output 1/2": AD/DA Source is "Auto" ... I have no access to a different setting ...

• "Phones Out 3/4" is AES

Do you have the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE? Then you could use DAC mode and select the source through the remote.
The clock source follows this selection.

If you have no remote, you can alternatively work with two configs and map switching of profile to one front key. With a little trick, you only need one button to switch between the two configs as the key mapping is not stored globally but per config profile, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p186247

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Do you have the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE? Then you could use DAC mode and select the source through the remote.
The clock source follows this selection.

If you have no remote, you can alternatively work with two configs and map switching of profile to one front key. With a little trick, you only need one button to switch between the two configs as the key mapping is not stored globally but per config profile, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p186247

Yes I have the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, so I have also a remote control.

For now I saved 2 different setups. but setup 1 with USB mode doesn't play back music from PC sources like Quobuz (ADI-1 Pro as output).

The AES mode I use to have direct ,monitoring of my analog inputs via audio interface and simultaneious playback of audio from PC (audio interface as output). The fact that there is already an ADDA conversion within the audio interface is not really important for me in this setup. But overall there is a benefit from the better DA stage.

Maybe I should try the remote ... could be more convenient ...

I also used the "Remap keys" functionality to adept to my needs but after one use the settings were discarded again ...

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-16 02:25:58)

• I use DAC Mode,
• have SPDIF Optical AND USB connected,
• and can switch between all inputs under “I/O / Main Output 1/2 / AD/DA Source“.

This works flawless from iPhone with Apple CCK to USB.
EDIT: and from iPad Pro USB-C.

(But- I found a problem with USB-C to USB-B cable from iPad Pro:
Playback works when plugging in, but stops after a few seconds.
EDIT: power cycling iPad fixed this!)

(Not your case:
Same configuration with AD-2/4 Pro SE only, I just found another problem here, I‘ll reported back)
:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 16#p198016