Topic: Fireface UC/UCX/Babyface Pro - Bypass preamps

Hey peeps,

After being steered towards RME products I’m just looking at a few different models, my biggest concern is making sure I can bypass internal preamps and use my BAE1073 pre with no compromise.

Looking at:

Fireface UC
Fireface UCX
BabyFace Pro

I can source a UC for a pretty reasonable price but I must pull the trigger pretty quickly before it’s gone..

I can’t seem to get a really clear response on if/how each of these can bypass their internal preamps when using an outboard pre.

Looking at a vocal chain of - lauten la3200 > Bae1073mpf > wa76 > undecided RME interface …

Can somebody please shed some light on if/how each of these can genuinely bypass their preamps? (Without use of ADAT)

Thanks in advance!
Nick

Re: Fireface UC/UCX/Babyface Pro - Bypass preamps

The Fireface UC has two inputs with micpres and six analog inputs without micpres.
No need to bypass internal micpres, just plugin to the normal line inputs.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The Fireface UC has two inputs with micpres and six analog inputs without micpres.
No need to bypass internal micpres, just plugin to the normal line inputs.

Thank you for the quick response!

Is this also the case of the UCX and Babyface Pro? I’ve read that the Babyface pro can bypass going through an unbalanced line input (have also read that could cause issues)

Haven’t been able to find confirmation on the UCX

Rear Line inputs do not have a mic preamp. That is as logical as obvious as there is no mic connectivity and no 65 dB gain option on these. The Babyface inputs 3 and 4 are also separate and without 'mic preamp'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME