1 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-14 17:27:51)

Topic: Help! adding more headphone outputs

Hi all!

I have a Babyface Pro FS and want to add more headphones outputs.

When I connect my Presonus HP4 with my Babyface Pro via SPDIF, and listen through headphones plugged to the Presonus, playing guitar, plugged into a Sansamp (guitar preamp) then into Clarett Octopre, sent via optical cable to the RME, a little latency and the sound was softer and did change. Enough to bug me.

I read the Babyface manual and I think I can use either Babyface headphone out (1/4” is louder I believe I read somewhere) into the Presonus HP4.

So I did not experience any latency. The sound is now close the plug my headphones direct into the Babyface.

Am I doing something wrong with the SPDIF? The change of sound and latency? Is plugging the Presonus HP4 into the Babyface headphones output ok?

I could plug the Presonus into the Babyface main outs but I prefer to those free.

Thanks in advance!

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

2 (edited by mkok 2023-02-14 17:29:02)

Re: Help! adding more headphone outputs

I wouldn’t have thought there would be latency. I use a Behringer ada8200 for extra outputs to headphone amps and there is no latency at all that I can perceive. This is using the spdif as adat.  Anyway there is nothing wrong with doing what you are doing now if it sounds ok. Just do t push the headphone out lever of the bfp too much and overdrive the presonus inputs

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-14 17:39:14)

I think you connect youe ADAT via SPDIF direct?

My Babyface is connected to the Presonus via optical cable then a small converter to a dual RCA cable on one end to 2 1/4” jacks in to the HP4 input. Could the conversion be the problem?

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

4 (edited by mkok 2023-02-14 23:36:43)

My setup is bfp fs adat to ADA8200 then XLR cables out to a 1/4 inch stereo jack into my ART headphone amp. Analogue adapters should not cause latency.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

5 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-15 01:40:29)

Hi,

So you are connecting digital cable to your ADAT then from the ADAT, headphones out.

I think it is the quality of my digital audio converter then. I am using the BFP SPDIF to digital cable to a very cheap audio converter to dual RCA to 2 mono 1/4” jacks into my Presonus HP4.

Plugging into the headphones out of the BFP is ok. Sounds good and no latency and I understand the manual says it’s ok as an additional line output.

Just frustrated because I wanted the headphones out ofnthe BFP as headphones out so I have 2 additional headphones output and they sound great.

I also wanted to take advantage of the SPDIF.

I am thinking the SPDIF is dependent on the converter? So the better the converter unit, the lesser or inaudible the latency and the better the sound. If this is the case, I will just use the headphones out into my Presonus.

6 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-15 01:43:46)

My Clarett Octopre has no headphones out capability. So to get extra headphones, I either go through SPDIF or the headphones out.

Any suggestions to my latency problem? Cables are good. I can only see the cheap audio converter as the problem. May look into getting something better but all I can find are the cheap converters online.

Oh am using a toslink converter to audio.

7 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-15 02:30:40)

Oddly, I was using this set up before and never noticed the lag. I just realized a factor and it may be part of the problem? I was using a PC and was able to adjust the latency for recordings but am using an iPad now as I am abroad. I don’t have my main gear with me. Just my travel set up. The iPad works good but has no adjustments for latency like my PC at home does. Also, not sure if iPad is an issue since when I plug my headphones direct to the BFP, there is no latency. It can also mean the lag was there but I just never noticed?

So factors for latency through my Presonus HP4 when connected via SPDIF could either be the iPad (iPad Pro 10.5 v2, old but still very good) and a cheap toslink converter digital to audio converter

Sounds like the toslink converter although you confused me mentioning the clarret. I thought you were doing the same as me from bfp to Clarett then analogue to hp4. What is this converter you are talking about if that’s not what you are doing?

Oh sorry I was not clear.

My Clarett Octopre has no analog outputs. So I need to source the HP4 through the BFP.

I actually am on the way home. Upgrading my very cheap Toslink converter to see if that makes a difference? Pricey but the shop said if it doesn’t work the way I want it to, I can take it back. No questions. How lucky could I get? I am crossing my fingers to see if it works.

So I figure, either I get the problem solved with an upgraded (kickass converter from Austria) or I will know that the digital audio converter is not the problem.

Will report back soon. Hopefully with good news smile

On another point, I had actually given up on the DAC. I thought of just using the SPDIF part through a reverb effects loop with the BPF. Latency won’t matter since I kill the dry signal, effects only. I just happened upon a shop this afternoon.

10 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-15 11:27:35)

Ok!

Happy to report! It was my cheap toslink converter. To be fair, it’s a converter I was using with my Apple TV (version 2 has no bluetooth for audio yet) for watching movies, the cheapie works fine for that.

Once I hooked it up with my Babyface, different story. The music sounded different from the Babyface headphones. Mainly lacking in bass. Also weaker. Way weaker. Then when I played guitar, latency!

The upgraded DAC box was made in Austria with US parts and a Texas Instrument chip. Sure sounded impressive. I crossed my fingers!

Sounds exactly like the BFP output now. Volume output is also healthy and now, no more latency.

So DAC’s do matter. Big lesson for me. Never knew that until this. smile

Whew! Now, I can start recording the band. I actually went overboard, I can now mix this way with confidence.

Glad you got it sorted

12 (edited by lmorendain 2023-02-16 00:52:36)

Thanks Mkok. Curious, which Clarett device are you using?

I have been reading on forums that digital is digital and so any improvements maybe an issue of a busted DAC. So I guess what I paid for are features, workmanship, durability, and reliability. The result is worth the money. 

Makes sense. This is the 2nd DAC cheapie (same brand) I have and the other one, in my home base, I do notice a “sound” difference. No latency and volume issues but the sound is like a treble blanket. Needed to compensate with EQ. I thought that was normal with SPDIF. Apparently that unit needs to be changed too when I get back home. Will also check the optical cable is that is bad too or the dual RCA to 1/4” headphone preamp cable.

lmorendain wrote:

I have been reading on forums that digital is digital

Exactly. But your issue is not digital, but digital to analog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

lmorendain wrote:

Thanks Mkok. Curious, which Clarett device are you using?

I have been reading on forums that digital is digital and so any improvements maybe an issue of a busted DAC. So I guess what I paid for are features, workmanship, durability, and reliability. The result is worth the money. 

Makes sense. This is the 2nd DAC cheapie (same brand) I have and the other one, in my home base, I do notice a “sound” difference. No latency and volume issues but the sound is like a treble blanket. Needed to compensate with EQ. I thought that was normal with SPDIF. Apparently that unit needs to be changed too when I get back home. Will also check the optical cable is that is bad too or the dual RCA to 1/4” headphone preamp cable.

I don’t have a Clarett. I have a Behringer ada8200 which as ad/da so has 8 analogue in and 8 out. I use two outs to connect to a headphone amp. These are over adat and uses two optical cables to connect to the bfp. No latency with this.

Ahh. Copy that. I misunderstood.

Yes. So when I get home, knowing that the quality of the SPDIF on the BFP is great, using  the BPF headphones out as a reference, I can see if there is a problem or not. As I remember it, an EQ issue. That will be another problem to solve on a later date. Right now, just enjoy what we got solved.

Thanks for your help and steering me into the right direction smile