1 (edited by alcachofa 2023-02-19 18:28:05)

Topic: [Solved] Fireface 400 screeching noise on EXT startup

Hello,
I get this behaviour each time I load my Fireface from a power supply. Once it's loaded, the noise is gone. If I load it from a BUS (fireface) - no noise, but switching it to EXT produces this startup noise. Also noticed, that input levels jump a couple of times until startup is finished.
I have reinstalled the driver and did a total reset of Total mix, to no effect.

Is there any danger for all my devices connected to the interface, which is misbehaving each time I load it?

Re: [Solved] Fireface 400 screeching noise on EXT startup

Seems like an issue of the external PSU, you can just replace that.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

It worked, thank you!
Replaced it on a proper Mean Well

alcachofa wrote:

It worked, thank you!
Replaced it on a proper Mean Well

I’m having this issue too. Can you share the model of power supply you switched to? Mine just started doing this maybe a year ago after working great on the same power supply for ages. I thought maybe the unit was dying, but  if it can come back with a simple new PSU that would be amazing!

How about that one ?
https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by alcachofa 2023-03-19 17:55:32)

kingubu wrote:

I’m having this issue too. Can you share the model of power supply you switched to? Mine just started doing this maybe a year ago after working great on the same power supply for ages. I thought maybe the unit was dying, but  if it can come back with a simple new PSU that would be amazing!

Yes, I showed mine to a very good local tech (a eurorack PSU designer) and he told me the "original" PSU is a joke even if it wasn't the issue, though it really was. He suggested some proper Mean Well alternatives, like GSM40A12-P1J which is a medical adaptor, but I went with a cheaper GST25A12-P1J.
What I was told is that almost any 12v Mean Well adaptor you'll find will be a lot better than the one that came with the FF400, so if that's your issue too, it's an almost free fix or even an upgrade if you will. Hope it will help you too!

That’s a far better price than I found elsewhere looking for an RME branded one! I found them to be almost $100US.

alcachofa wrote:
kingubu wrote:

Yes, I showed mine to a very good local tech (a eurorack PSU designer) and he told me the "original" PSU is a joke even if it wasn't the issue, though it really was. He suggested some proper Mean Well alternatives, like GSM40A12-P1J which is a medical adaptor, but I went with a cheaper GST25A12-P1J.
What I was told is that almost any 12v Mean Well adaptor you'll find will be a lot better than the one that came with the FF400, so if that's your issue too, it's an almost free fix or even an upgrade if you will. Hope it will help you too!

Thanks! After reading your post, I rummaged around and found a super cheap PSU that fit the specs. It came with a tiny little $20 amplifier I got for background music on the patio. And the issue cleared right up! I’ll look for a proper one for long term use, but this is way better than looking for a new interface!

9 (edited by alcachofa 2023-03-24 12:22:25)

Glad this easy fix helped you too. 
Mean Well adapters are actually fine for long term use (let's hope our interfaces will last that long). Though, personally, I see no reason to invest much in a piece of technology, that became outdated in about 10 years, besides, these overpriced original PSU's are just confusing.