Topic: AES/EBU setting for old AES unit. Hearing Phase-y ringing sound.

Hello, I have bought 2nd hand old digital saturation unit of SPL Machine Head today.

Then I connected it with AES cables of mine, to it.

But while I was checking the sound, I hear this unpleasant, phase-y? ringing sound, as I make it louder?

Could this be defective cables?
or could it be wrong AES/EBU setting on USB setting?

I set it at 'internal' and 48k sample rate.
Also the unit followed it automatically.

This is digital connection so I am not sure what the cause may be..

Maybe this is how the SPL Machine Head was built like...?

Or could it be some sort of, mismatching 'ohm'...?

I've used 110ohm AES cables.

I tried both setting, consumer and professional. Made UFX ii to be clock source.

Re: AES/EBU setting for old AES unit. Hearing Phase-y ringing sound.

What you describe sounds like you are mixing the original plus the spl sound, which will sound phasy due to the delay going in and out of the spl. Or there is feedback where you send the output of the spl back into the input. Both mistakes are easily made and corrected in tmfx.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

What you describe sounds like you are mixing the original plus the spl sound, which will sound phasy due to the delay going in and out of the spl. Or there is feedback where you send the output of the spl back into the input. Both mistakes are easily made and corrected in tmfx.

Right right, SPL Machine Head is a very simple unit with only a few parameters, I am sure this machine does not have any parrallel processing built in.

So I 'solo' myself the AES in <-- to monitor its saturation processing.

I hear 'as-you-have-described' phasing sound. Yes, exactly that.

Can AES/EBU connection have 'feedback' issue like that...? I use these AES cables for Genelec monitors and I had no trouble. um, What should I do to narrow this issue?

Very odd indeed, I thought the gear was defective.. But what can I do on TotalMix..?

Cheers, I am kinda lost here.. (*When I am monitoring I mute the AES Out on TotalMix so, not sure where that feedback is coming from. I am sending the sound from Software Playback*)

Oh, please excuse my mistake! I found where it caused that phasing! as you said, AES input was not turned all the way down from AES output channel (Totalmix),which caused that crazy ringy sound.

Now it is all good smile

Everyday though, I am amazed how I would do without TotalMix... such a perfection! thanks!

Great!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Great!

Oh no.. I am in trouble now, with SPDIF connection.....

Could you please perhaps chime in..? I am in trouble.. haha... I got myself 2 S/Pdif cables. Also ADAT toslink to Coaxial S/Pdif converter (cheap one). *The one moderator here recommended! (bi-directional toslink - coaxial RCA converter)

Hooked it on UFX ii --> ADAT 2 in/out.

But I am getting the same source no matter what I do....

Do you think I bought the wrong converter...?

Something like... digital signal cloner...? Im bombed out haha... PPM meters showing healthy sign of input drive and output.. but AES coming in, sound does not get affect at all... very strange.

It was fine with AES connection though, but I gotta leave that for my monitors.

3 threads on the same subject are 2 too much...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

3 threads on the same subject are 2 too much...

I am so sorry about this. I will be careful next time.. my bad.