Topic: What should I do?

Hi everyone!

David Lai here. I've grown to love the Babyface Pro FS the more I use it every day. I mainly use it to listen to music, as well as play my piano VST's using the amazing ASIO driver, and send this recording via a pair of unused hardware outputs as a loopback signal to non-ASIO software programs so as to simulate a post-fader loopback setup.

I'm planning to return to my home country -- China for a few months of summer break. I've asked on this forum about international traveling with the Babyface Pro FS, but now I'm thinking if this is something I should do, or to buy a similar setup in China. It's more expensive to buy any electronics there, and I've heard from a few friends who work in related areas that the Babyface Pro FS is likely to raise prices there, which may render the bang-for-buck element something of the past.

So, is it worth it to carry my Babyface Pro FS + 2 XLR cables to China and then back with me to the US when I return from summer break, or is it worth it more to buy the same setup there for home use?

Also, I'm afraid I've been really sold by RME's powerful driver and audio conversion setup, so much so that I think it's best if I can still use an RME product. So, if I have to resort to a cheaper interface that could also accommodate my setup, which RME product do you suggest I consider?

Thanks for any suggestions!

David

2 (edited by ramses 2023-02-25 16:28:14)

Re: What should I do?

Hi David.

The BBF Pro FS is virtually predestined for mobile use due to its compact dimensions and low weight. What are you still asking? A 2nd device would only remain unused in the USA or China and collect dust. If money plays a minor role, then I would rather recommend saving a bit and investing the €879 differently and better buy an ADI-2 DAC FS or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to enjoy the additional features of these devices.

How to integrate and configure the ADI-2 DAC/Pro via ADAT into your existing setup is shown in one of my blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Another article shows you some benefits and differences of ADI-2 DAC and Pro.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

If you would like to have a phono preamp or a 2nd D/A converter to add a sub, then look for the (more expensive) ADI-2/4 Pro SE. See the RME website and manual for a complete feature list.

By the way, have fun with your stay at home (I assume with your family).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Hi David,

the BBF Pro FS is virtually predestined for mobile use due to its compact dimensions and low weight. What are you still asking?

Simply put, do you suggest traveling with my BBF Pro FS + 2 XLR cables to China and back (extra weight on my checked luggage and the security may want to inspect my XLR cables), or save the trouble and buy the BBF Pro FS in China during the summer?

Budget wise, I would much prefer traveling with the devices, but perhaps my mom who's traveling with me would prefer that more clothing / other items be packed into the suitcase instead of a heavy box of electronics? Either way has their advantages and disadvantages, so I was wondering what you would do in a similar situation? Hope this helps!

4 (edited by ramses 2023-02-25 17:40:57)

Security will recognize the BBF Pro as an electronic device like a smartphone, PC, or laptop.
If you are worried about cables, well then buy the XLR cables in China for €20 instead of a 2nd BBF Pro for over €8xx.
If you think your mom has issues putting the BBF Pro into the suitcase, well, then align with her.
I would put the small device into the hand luggage, it's small enough to fit into everything (little bag, ..) and problem solved.
Then you do not have to worry about additional weight in the suitcase.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Security will recognize the BBF Pro as an electronic device like a smartphone, PC, or laptop.
If you are worried about cables, well then buy the XLR cables in China for €20 instead of a 2nd BBF Pro for over €8xx.
If you think your mom has issues putting the BBF Pro into the suitcase, well, then align with her.
I would put the small device into the hand luggage, it's small enough to fit into everything (little bag, ..) and problem solved.
Then you do not have to worry about additional weight in the suitcase.

I like your way of thinking, Ramses. This is indeed a better way to navigate my setup! I'll then carry my laptop and BBF in a bag by myself to give the checked luggage some more weight. I'll buy 2 XLR cables before I fly in a couple of months. Thanks for your help and suggestion! smile

David

davidlaijiajun wrote:

is it worth it to carry my Babyface Pro FS + 2 XLR cables to China and then back with me to the US when I return from summer break

Hi David.
Yes it is.
Safe travels:)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

If you want to save the weight for XLR cables, then place an order before your flight so that it arrives at the destination at about the same time as you. Or if you are near a big city / music shop, then buy it there.

ramses wrote:

If you want to save the weight for XLR cables, then place an order before your flight so that it arrives at the destination at about the same time as you. Or if you are near a big city / music shop, then buy it there.

Thank you for this suggestion! In fact, that's what I'm now planning to do, as XLR cables are easier to find in China than Babyface Pro FS machines.

Though my flight is still 2 months away, some plans are good to think about in advance as I work things out before a smooth long flight there. Thanks again for everything! smile