Topic: Digiface USB input not working

I have a Digiface USB which is a couple of years old, and am having issues with the some of the optical inputs. I've been using two consistently during the time I've had the unit, and now one of those inputs is intermittent, and the other doesn't work at all. I've tried different cables, and the cables work in the two inputs that I haven't been using, but in the ones that are having issues, as stated, one is intermittent, one not functional. Any suggestions? Is there a way to clean the input or does the unit need to be serviced by RME?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-25 17:10:32)

Re: Digiface USB input not working

Have you screwdrivers ?
Open it and blow out all dust carefully, maybe a painters brush will help too.
If that is not the solution, a service at RME is worth to do.
As some of the inputs are still working the unit itself seems to be in good condition.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

There is no access from internal into the TOSLINKs. Cleaning only works from outside. A magnifier should easily make clear if there is something inside or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no access from internal into the TOSLINKs. Cleaning only works from outside. A magnifier should easily make clear if there is something inside or not.

I tried to look inside holding the gate open and using a light and magnifying glass but couldn't see any obvious obstruction...A jewelers magnifying glass would have been a lot better....I read that tiny microscopic dust particles could interfere with the optic signal. What is the best way to try to clean the input.....is it possible for a non-tech person to do? Is it worth trying to do? Would dust cause distortion, popping, other sounds? When I gently try to adjust the cable to try to get a signal, loud distortion happens.

Are your toslink plugs lose ?
Mine are sitting pretty tight and i can try wiggle and do what I want, the sound remains clear, no distortion, no stutter.
From what you say, the ADAT connector might be broken inside.
The dust I was speaking of is more to be a ball of dust not particles.
Photographers use a clean air spray to clean their lenses, you may also just blow with your mouth or with a bicycle pump into the open toslink port.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue