1 (edited by AdamInCo 2023-02-22 03:06:19)

Topic: Trying To Understand Double Wire Settings!

Hi,

I'm just trying to understand the application/what I'm hearing with these settings.

I'm using AES-32 pcie card to Lavry converters.

What is the application of using "Double Wire" under the Quad Speed setting?

Is there a boost in quality for when you don't need as many channels? I want to say it sounds more extended/detailed in this setting.

Double Wire under the Double Speed setting just changes the audio to mono...

Sorry if this is a newbie question or something I should already know. I read in the manual and am still having a hard time understanding.

Thank you.

2 (edited by Jperkins 2023-02-24 04:14:07)

Re: Trying To Understand Double Wire Settings!

This is a great question. I've always kept it Quad Speed setting on Single Wire since I do use all the I/O channels on my AES card but maybe I can use Double Wire for that setting. It could be my imagination but there might be a difference in sound here to my ears as well.

Hopefully MC or somebody more familiar with this setting can weigh in.

Double wire and such are explained in the manual. Using that setting requires AD/DA devices that understand that format. Most don't. And with units that don't you end up with distorted audio (half the samples missing).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by AdamInCo 2023-02-27 02:42:20)

MC wrote:

Double wire and such are explained in the manual. Using that setting requires AD/DA devices that understand that format. Most don't. And with units that don't you end up with distorted audio (half the samples missing).

I did read the manual but I'm still confused as to the benefit or application in today's context.

The manual says it started back in the day when systems couldn't handle higher sample rates and you had to split the audio over multiple channels.

Double Wire under Quad definitely changes something in terms of the sound, and it's not distortion, I'm just trying to better understand what I'm hearing so I can choose the best options. When you go to Double it's have as many channels.

DW and QW mode are history and serve no purpose anymore.

There is no audible difference unless you introduce distortion, which technnically not means 'distorted' audio but a changed original, so it might not sound like an overdriven amp.

Are you sure you activated DW mode at the Lavry converter as well? If so then you should measure the difference. Tons of free tools available to do this easily and quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh ok, interesting, thank you.