Topic: RME babyface pro, Ventura OS no midi.

Im trying to play my piano in Reaper on my newly bought MacBook Pro M2 with Ventura.
But there is no midi to be found, it was not availible in Reaper, so i tried to remove the RME N/A things hoping it would scan them a new. But no.
And, i cant seem to find any midi at all for the RME in the computor itself, at all. So that might have been the problem to begin with.

I have downloaded the 4. public beta, but the problem persist.
What can i do to get my midi up and running again?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-23 18:18:03)

Re: RME babyface pro, Ventura OS no midi.

For Mac users there is Midi-Monitor, a little free software to monitor all Midi traffic on a mac computer.
https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

And for Ventura RME driver installation follow this :
https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-treiber-macos.html

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

For Mac users there is Midi-Monitor, a little free software to monitor all Midi traffic on a mac computer.
https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

And for Ventura RME driver installation follow this :
https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-treiber-macos.html

Thank you.
I did the settings and got everything installed. Sound in and out work as it should. So no problems there.
And for the monitor midi, i assume monitoring midi is just that.. But since its not even present, i might need a fix before i can monitoring it.
Is my way of thinking right now..

The MIDI portion is class compliant, so there is no RME driver. It will just be USB MIDI.

Sometime Apple's MIDI Studio starts overflowing with old entries. You can just select all MIDI devices there, delete them, and the current MIDI devices will reappear in the app.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The MIDI portion is class compliant, so there is no RME driver. It will just be USB MIDI.

Sometime Apple's MIDI Studio starts overflowing with old entries. You can just select all MIDI devices there, delete them, and the current MIDI devices will reappear in the app.

In MIDI studio i only have "USB MIDI-unit" Or what the english word for is is, and "IAC-driveroutine".
But i cant seem to find a way to delete them at all, if you meant delete these two ones?

Ive never used MIDI studio before, but ive switched computor yesterday and never had this problem.

Anyone else have some ideas on how to get the midi working?
Its a brand new mbp m2 max with a Ventura installation that i switched over to, so there is really no other midiinstruments it has on it. But somehow seem unable to identify Babyface pro:s midi..

gregerlindberg wrote:

And for the monitor midi, i assume monitoring midi is just that.. But since its not even present, i might need a fix before i can monitoring it.

The Midi can be there in the background, blocked or routed the wrong way and you don't know if the midi signals arriving into the computer.
The Midi Monitor is for checking this.
It will show you the Midi signals if they are there.

waedi wrote:
gregerlindberg wrote:

The Midi can be there in the background, blocked or routed the wrong way and you don't know if the midi signals arriving into the computer.
The Midi Monitor is for checking this.
It will show you the Midi signals if they are there.

So the little i understand about the midi-monitor, it does show signals when i press the keys on the piano hooked up to babyface.
In midi monitor, it shows the leys i pressed. But thats the only place where it register something is happening.

When i scan for sources i get these,

USB MIDI-unit
SSL V-MIDI Port 1 source
and the same up to
SSL V-MIDI Port 12 source.

And those doesnt seemt o do anything. I´ve never seen the SSL midi on my old comp.

In Reaper´s midi-list i have,

Apple Inc. - IAC-driver - Bus1
EZdrummer
Ezkeys
Generic - USB MIDI-unit
Roland - A-Series Keyboard - Keyboard
SSL V-MIDI Port 1 source
to
SSL V-MIDI Port 12 source
Device not found
Device not found

And thats it.

I also looked in the MIDI drivers folder on the computor. There i have

-Fireface MIDI.plugin (i have a fireface800 to that i dont use, but that one came with when i migrated)
-MADIfaceUSB3MIDIDriver.plugin
-RDUSB0156Midi.plugin
-SoundGridMidi.plugin

10 (edited by waedi 2023-02-27 12:41:44)

The Midi Signals from your keyboard are arriving in the computer !
This could be the one !
Select it as Midi-input
Arm the track R and activate monitor I
Having a Synth plugin in the track ?

waedi wrote:

The Midi Signals from your keyboard are arriving in the computer !
This could be the one !
Select it as Midi-input
Arm the track R and activate monitor I
Having a Synth plugin in the track ?

NOOOOOW!! Finally..
But it wasnt apple. It was "generic - USB MIDI-unit.

Fiddled around long enought and boom..

So if anyone else bumps into the same problem.

Generic - USB MIDI-unit

Thank you for your time guys.
First time i ever had a problem getting stuff running with RME for, many MANY years.
But such a great forum..