1 (edited by spittem 2023-02-27 09:20:16)

Topic: Fireface UCX issue - please help!

Hey y’all,

I purchased a Fireface UCX second hand and have been trying to set it up for a hours.

Using PC - Win 11

Plugged the device in via USB - downloaded the latest drivers.

The Fireface comes up in devices on for a few seconds then disconnects, the PC continuously recognises the device then the device disappears..making the connect/disconnect noise over and over on a loop.

I have nothing plugged into the fire face yet.

Not sure if this is all normal, but The red ‘host’ light is bold red when then device is recognised by the PC- then flashes when it cuts out.

Other lights on the UCX are just bold green ones on the signal for mic lines 1 and 2, and slightly flickering green signal lights for inputs 3 and 4. The mic line lights clip red randomly.

Any thoughts??

I have tried all different USB ports on my Pc, and it still connects and disconnects over and over. Wondering if the device is no good or if this is a common issue. Please help!

Thanks in advance
Nick

Re: Fireface UCX issue - please help!

Symptoms of underpowering.
Do you have the right power supply ?
May you try another one ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Symptoms of underpowering.
Do you have the right power supply ?
May you try another one ?

Thank you for the response!

that’s interesting, the device lights don’t turn off and it doesn’t seem to lose any power though..just it’s connection to the computer (fire face lights stay on when this happens)

I will try a new power supply

The power supply you used, has it specifications printed on it ?

waedi wrote:

The power supply you used, has it specifications printed on it ?

You were absolutely correct, thank you so much.

Grabbed a new power supply and it fires up smile

I’m assuming it is an unrelated issue but I’ve plugged in some headphones to the headphone input (that I know work), just to make sure the interface is all working and all I get from the headphone output is really quiet and distant distorted version of the sound. Turning into my worst nightmare!

Do you play the music from a software from the computer ?
Is it Windows ?
ASIO RME is selected as audio device and the same sample Freq is set everywhere ?

waedi wrote:

Do you play the music from a software from the computer ?
Is it Windows ?
ASIO RME is selected as audio device and the same sample Freq is set everywhere ?

I believe same sample frequency everywhere yes.

I can actually get the headphones to work but only if the 3.5mm is half way plugged into the 6.5 mm adapter (which I believe is TRS? Tip and 2 black rings)

The TRS - TRRS Adapter stuff goes a bit over my head, but it’s the same adapter I’ve used to plug headphones into a mixer I used to have so I just assumed it would work. Could it be a case of wrong adapter? I’ve tried 2 of this same style and on both I’m getting sounds only when the headphones are loosely half plugged in to the 1/4 inch adapter.  Somebody suggest I might need a “four bar” 1/4 inch adapter for the UCX..thoughts?

Thanks again for helping me out

What headphone is that, and what connector/adapter? If the headphone cable ends in 4 contacts it might not work in a typical  TRS 6.35 to TRS 3.5 adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME