Topic: HDSP(e) AIO with Older UFX

Hello all.

I've been waiting for a RME preamp to get a little cheaper to pair up with my HDSP AIO but then a UFX (original)  became available.

Is it possible to use both in one pc? I know I can connect it through ADAT just like any mic preamp box but can I use both the HDSP(e) and UFX as dual interfaces? For example keep the HDSP for my digital processing and then use the UFX for AD conversion. I guess in short use both drivers? I could've sworn I read somewhere that RME automatically picks up other RME equipment and uses all as an aggregate, similar to what macs do.

Is this possible in a WINDOWS 11 pc.

Current set up

12th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-12900K
MAG Z-690 tomahawk ddr4
RAM 64 GB
Intel® UHD Graphics 770
Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics
Allen Heath Zed 10 analog mixer ( No adat or anything, I literally connect the audio out to my breakout cable.) and HDSPe AIO Audio Interface
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 BLACK 2TB
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus 2TB

2 (edited by vinark 2023-03-05 11:28:46)

Re: HDSP(e) AIO with Older UFX

No only if they use the same driver will they be available as ons asio device. But they can be installed both and used together easily. Indeed through adat and or spdif. But if the ufx has all the ins and outs you need, you might just as easily just use that one alone maybe.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2023-03-05 12:06:26)

If you use multiple devices:
- Up to three are tested by RME per driver.
  More are theoretically possible, but it is PC HW mainboard/BIOS and performance (CPU) dependent
- Use the same RME device to get the same converter latencies to avoid track offsets
  Side note: offset/difference becomes bigger when combining (very) old with new products, as converters became much faster
- Use the same ASIO buffer-size on all devices to avoid track offsets
- Clock sync either by using one of the digital links (ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI, ..) or use Word Clock

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vinark wrote:

No only if they use the same driver will they be available as ons asio device. But they can be installed both and used together easily. Indeed through adat and or spdif. But if the ufx has all the ins and outs you need, you might just as easily just use that one alone maybe.

Thanks for the reply and help.

vinark wrote:

I needed to clarify something. I want to get the HDSP(e) AIO Pro for the ADI-2 Pro like converters and just being interested in having a PCIe sound card now that I have a PC that can support it. I already have a ufx but I'm trying to figure out how to remedy the redundancy .

I guess the main way is that I can run the UFX in standalone mode as a Convertor or just a 4 channel pre amp, but I was just just curious about what will happen if they both are connected to the PC (one through USB and the other as an in board card.)

Thanks for your answer again.

Both are available and can be used simultaneously by different programs. Only if you want to use one daw you will have to connect them through adat and make a choice.
Also you can use the ufx headphones out as a more accessible one then the AIO on a breakout cable.
But really how useful, it all is depends fully on what you need to do.
Also don't expect a real audible difference between the UFX and AIO. Yes specs are a little better, but not in the audible range or very very subtle at best.
I have PCI and USB based RME and the cpu performance difference is also very small. I might get a slightly better ultra low latency performance with PCI, but at notmal buffer size of 128, the differences are very small.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632