1 (edited by Del_Gesu 2023-02-12 16:20:27)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS panorama issue

I observed strange behavior of panorama when I was moving the volume fader.

First case:
I am moving a physical rotary encoder, which controls output volume. Pan of this output starts to randomly change. It is somehow connected with the „fader group” section in Totalmix (I link Main and Phone output for quadrophonic monitoring) but I observed similar behavior (but very short) without using groups.

Second case:
On the hardware unit I clicked „select” to see the panorama LEDS indicator of the output and I started changing volume in Totalmix (by mouse pointer). The LED bands on the unit (which display panorama) started to blink fast. I suppose this is wrong behavior, because I didn’t change panorama, just the volume.

My setup: Macbook Pro (mid 2015), Catalina, latest drivers and firmware. I had the same problem with previous versions of driver and firmware on Mojave.

I send BF to RME service and they replay:
"Problem is not a defect and not a general problem of the Babyface Pro.
This can happen on some computers which do not handle the Fader settings fast enough in TotalMix FX. The cause can be caused by software tools or other computer problems.
We already optimized this behavior as good as possible.”

And the second answer, after I ask for more detailed explanation:
„Totalmix is not so much of a software as a control surface for the hardware. However, the constant communication between the two can be disturbed, which can eventually lead to the kind of issues you've been observing.”

Can anyone help me with this problem? How it is possible, that my computer is not able to handle the faders setting fast enough in TotalMix, when I use this computer to 100 times more demanding and CPU-consuming work and never experience this kind of issue?

This is quite serious problem for me, because I use Babyface for live concert and I can’t effort to risk, that during changing volume the sound from one side of the concert room dissepears because of panorama bug.

Edit. The first case is real problem for me. The second is just the observation, which lead me to conclusion, that the problem is not only with communication Babyface (operation from hardware knob)-Totalmix, but also the other way around: Totalmix (operation from Totalmix window)–Babyface.

Re: Babyface Pro FS panorama issue

Hi
I have no experience using physical rotary encoders, but I am curious as to why you don´t just use the rotary encoder on the BF itself?

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

By saying "physical rotary encoder" I mean Babyface rotary encoder, in contrast to software Totalmix faders. If you tell me, what is the easiest way to attach video on the forum, I can show the problem.

Upload your video somewhere public and provide the direct link here.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

This is link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mag6PAf5al0

The answers were correct. One comment: there is no panorama as such. It is always two volumes...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC, I’m not saying the answers were wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that I have serious problem with Babyface that makes it very difficult for me to use this interface especially in live concert, where I need reliability.
And I still don’t know of the nature of this problem and how to fix it. If this problem is connected with my computer, where to find the answer how to fix it? I've never seen anything like this in other software I use.

That is odd. I’ve never had the pan change on my TotalMix with the Babyface pro fs.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi, I have the same or a similiar issue with my Babyface Pro FS and TotalMix. I´m on a Macbook Pro M1 using Logic Pro. Often, when I change the monitoring volume with the rotary encoder on the Babyface, either on Main or on Phones, the Pan knob on the corresponding channel in Totalmix also moves. It happens every now and then, and actually makes reliable mixing impossible.