1 (edited by AdamBier 2023-03-06 01:45:15)

Topic: Using Loopback for Applications That Don't Support Channel Selection

My appologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but page 34 of the Digiface AES manual (and, I believe, most other RME interface manuals) states:

Programs that don't support channel selection will always use channels 1/2, the first stereo pair. To access other inputs, use the following workaround with TotalMix: route the desired input signal to output channels 1/2. In the channel settings of outputs 1/2 activate Loopback. Result: the de- sired input signal is now available at input channel 1/2, without further delay/latency.

But what if output channels 1/2 are needed for the main monitor mix? With the Digiface AES, channels 1 and 2 are AES out L and R, and my monitors are connected via the AES connector, which means the submix for those two channels needs to be configured for monitoring. Thus, it seems, I cannot use them for this purpose.

Am I misunderstanding something?

The alternative I have been using is the Loopback app for the Mac, but that introduces quite a bit of additional latency. Does anyone else have a superior recommendation?

Re: Using Loopback for Applications That Don't Support Channel Selection

You are right, if you need to use XLR Out 1/2 then Loopback won't work good for you. This text shows a valid workaround for all our other interfaces (except the Babyface, same issue), as they have multiple outputs that can be 'Main'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME