Topic: [Solved] Madiface USB - Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX routing

Replied to another thread, but in the wrong sub forum.. so reposting here.

I just got a Madiface USB and Pulse 16 MX.   

Madiface is set as master - Ferrofish locks to it (changes to sample rate in software are reflected on the Ferrofish front panel).. so communication seems ok from that standpoint.   For fun, I tried making the Ferrofish the master.. and it did not work at all.

So they're talking, syncing, etc.. but I can get no audio passed.  I see computer playback in totalmix.. but nothing gets to ferrofish.  If I plug something into ferrofish, I see input signals, but nothing in totalmix.

Windows 10, Reaper

Am I missing something here?

Re: [Solved] Madiface USB - Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX routing

Does Ferrofish show the green sync icon for MADI input (2 green boxes at the bottom of the screen)? Is the Pulse 16 routing matrix set for MADI 1-8 & 9-16 <> Analog 1-8 & 9-16?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Does Ferrofish show the green sync icon for MADI input (2 green boxes at the bottom of the screen)? Is the Pulse 16 routing matrix set for MADI 1-8 & 9-16 <> Analog 1-8 & 9-16?

Yes, two green boxes.. routing wasn't touched, and I think it defaults to straight in/out routing (I'll check).

So.. i managed to get sound via the headphone jack.. i set the headphone output to 'madi 1' and sent playback from reaper to that output.

Still can't get anything routed to the analog outputs.. nor can i route anything in from the analog inputs. 

Going to try the Ferrofish software to see if there's some routing I missed.  I thought the rme totalmix did all the routing.. but i think I'm missing something.

Been working in DAWs since the early 90s.. but my first try with MADI.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-03-11 14:36:28)

The presumably missing information regarding MADI...

Each MADI device receives the total number of audio channels from this MADI "bus" at its input.

On each MADI device which is connected to the same MADI bus you have to configure the routing once.

• which incoming MADI channels you want to route to which outputs on the device

• which inputs from the device you want to route to which MADI output channels

• all remaining MADI input channels (which you don't use at the device) have to be routed through, so that other MADI devices and the recording interface can receive audio from all channels completely.

You could connect multiple MADI devices serial, like e.g. 8 Octamic XTC:

+--Recording Device--->XTC#1---...--->XTC#8--+
|                                                                         |
+--------------------------<-----------------------------+

In your case, it is easy, as you seem to connect only one device to the MADI bus, then the routing is like this:

MADI IN---MADIface USB ---MADI OUT
|                                           |
|                                           |
|                              MADI Device Id #1---M1-16 IN---------->Analog 1..8 OUT (case 1, see list above)
|                                           |                  M1-16 OUT<--------Analog 1..16 IN  (case 2)
|                                           |                  M19-64OUT<-------MADI 19-64 IN    (case 3)
+----------------<---------------+

Once this basic setup is in place, you only need to route in TotalMix FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It was routing. but not totalmix FX... I realized that in the Ferrofish, I had to change the mapping of the analog ins/outs to MADi.. they default to ADAT.

Now they show up in totalmix.. in the daw, etc..  WOO!!!

7 (edited by ramses 2023-03-11 14:37:55)

Congratulations :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13