Topic: Babyface Pro 3-4 input (reference level difference)

Hello, I have a question on 3-4 inputs and the difference between +4 dBu and -10 dBV reference levels.
Am I right, that switching from -10 dBV to +4 dBu basically works like Pad on inputs 1-2 or it changes something else in the inputs? If there is another difference, what it is?
And why is the dB difference around 9dB and not 11.79 dB (which is the real voltage difference between -10dBV and +4dBu)?

Re: Babyface Pro 3-4 input (reference level difference)

You can find information about reference levels via this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyXcrT7SnI

Thank you. Then I am right, that switching from -10 dBV to +4 dBu works like Pad on inputs 1-2, but applies not -11dB damping, but -9dB, yes? But what about input impedance? According to the manual, Pad also increases impedance.

If I follow this logic, according to the video, „Pad” button changes the reference level to „Lo gain”, am I right?

Yes.

I thought the line inputs were actually changing input stage amplification/gain or other aspects of the line input stage - and not simply adding a pad to get the range of reference levels (same with the outs)?

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The mic pad is a resistor divider at the input jack. The 3/4 ref levels are changed gain after the input amp.

-10 dBV ref level refers to +2 dBV = +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS in our units. +4 dBu refers to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS. See tech specs which also mention that. Level difference is therefore 9 dB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So to clarify for @Del_Gesu - The line inputs are buffered then "gained" accordingly - and therefore line input impedance is constant regardless of selected reference level...

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you for clarification.