Topic: ADI-8 DS converter

Do these older devices work as an expander for newer systems? I have 802 and Octamic. So using as ADAT #2. Would this integrate? Thanks.

Re: ADI-8 DS converter

yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you. How about the RME multiface II? Even if it has to be setup for standalone it would be the same driver under windows but I’m hoping it would function as an ADAT?

Yes, the Multiface can hold its configuration as long it is on power.

waedi wrote:

Yes, the Multiface can hold its configuration as long it is on power.

Thanks again. You are very kind. So it would lose the settings if it’s powered off? What if it was connected via FireWire through the 802?

No, the Multiface is not a Firewire interface.
It only uses the same cable and the same connector as Firewire.
But it is not Firewire, it must have a cardbus card.

7 (edited by rockfarmroadstudios 2023-03-14 00:44:33)

waedi wrote:

No, the Multiface is not a Firewire interface.
It only uses the same cable and the same connector as Firewire.
But it is not Firewire, it must have a cardbus card.

Waedi - Thank you so much! You are a goldmine of useful information! OK hopefully the last one and I do apologise . . .

If I needed 8 extra outputs; visible from a PC running the Fireface ASIO driver; and had limited budget; I could use:

a) ADI-8 DS or newer model ($$$)
b) Fireface 800 - although it seems there are so many conflicting reports on set ups using multiple 800 series devices - but surely if I set it up, it would load the config on start up - as my 802 does? Would you say this is workable?
c) ? $$$$$ everything else seems very expensive - have I missed any?

Thanks again I've searched high and low for this.

8 (edited by vinark 2023-03-14 10:11:15)

Of course you can also use cheap adat DA like the Berhinger ada8200, or anything a little higher up.
It really does not sound bad at all
I have an old ADI-8AE for the same reasons as you

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Of course you can also use cheap adat DA like the Berhinger ada8200, or anything a little higher up.
It really does not sound bad at all
I have an old ADI-8AE for the same reasons as you

Thanks, but you can't really. 3rd party devices are not not seen by TotalMix FX. On a PC, you can only use one ASIO driver at a time. So there's no way to combine the ouputs effectively. I tried this and it was hopeless.

10 (edited by bsfreq 2023-03-17 01:02:05)

rockfarmroadstudios wrote:

Thanks, but you can't really. 3rd party devices are not not seen by TotalMix FX. On a PC, you can only use one ASIO driver at a time. So there's no way to combine the ouputs effectively. I tried this and it was hopeless.

Not sure what you're talking about. Of course you can control these outputs directly from within Totalmix FX, as adat outs are shown as harware outs in TMFX and the outputs on ADA8200 do not have separate harware output level knobs.. Only thing not controllable would be the input gains of the AD-stage.

Also, the 802 doesn't have digital gain control, so you're probably used to adjusting the knobs on the harware side.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

The ADA8200 works exactly the same as the ADI8DS. Of course the ADI is a little better speced, but if it is audible?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632